Author Topic: VRDB?  (Read 6336 times)

lees4

VRDB?
« on: April 11, 2004, 04:11:08 PM »
Hello all! Can someone explain (exactly) what VRDB is and does? and how it should be used...Not sure if I understand it.  Just downloaded it lastnight and trying to figure everything out ;D So fa,r I think I'm really going to like  it once the boot scan gets fixed. Also, has anybody had a problem with a thorough scan stopping about 3/4 through? I going to do a fix through add remove programs after the scan I'm doing right now stops again and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks to All ;)
Lee

shgoh

shgoh

Re:VRDB?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 04:21:02 PM »
this is from avast help file...

avast! creates an integrity database, i.e. it stores information about the actual state of the files, doing it three version back of each file. The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).
If any file is infected by a virus, it is possible to repair it, i.e. turn it to its original state. If there are multiple versions of the file in the database, you can choose which version you want to restore.

lees4

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 04:24:39 PM »
You guys are quick thankyou! So.....how should I use it? gives you options...generate now...generate screensaver...generate whe idle???

Thanks!

Lee

shgoh

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 04:26:15 PM »
it's up to you... ;)

however by default vrdb generates every 3 weeks...u can change it though..

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2%3baction=display%3bthreadid=127%3bstart=0

techie101

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 07:23:43 PM »
Lees,

The VRDB options are easy to use:

Now means that the VRDB will start immediatley and run regardless of keyboard input.

With Screensaver simply means that the VRDB will only run when the screensaver is active and on.

Idle means that the VRDB will not run until the keyboard has stopped inputs for about 3 minutes.  However, once you start inputing again, the VRDB will temporatily halt and wait for the next idle period.

Not as confusing as it may sound.

Techie

PS:  The first time the VRDB runs, it may take a bit of time to finish.  Not to worry, it is normal and the time length depends on the files within your computer.

Don't worry about HOW to use it now if there is a major virus infection.....
We can cover that when and if !  ;)

Techie101
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 07:26:38 PM by Techie101 »

lees4

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 07:46:48 PM »
Thanks! You guys are AWESOME!

Lee

CoJo

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 08:03:52 PM »
Thanks! You guys are AWESOME!

Lee

Lee, that is an understatement ;D
these folks have saved my a** more than once :-[
they have been patient and extremely helpful and not just with using Avast! but with general computer questions.

cojo

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004, 11:34:23 PM »

Yes, CoJo, I agree! Everyone here is so helpful reguardless of the question asked. Not only did I get a great av a few months ago, but, I got a great support group of friendly people!    :)  

CoJo

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 11:38:06 PM »

Yes, CoJo, I agree! Everyone here is so helpful reguardless of the question asked. Not only did I get a great av a few months ago, but, I got a great support group of friendly people!    :)  

Right on, mate! 8)

cojo

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 01:53:16 AM »
Idle means that the VRDB will not run until the keyboard has stopped inputs for about 3 minutes.  However, once you start inputing again, the VRDB will temporatily halt and wait for the next idle period.

I'll defer to Techie as the expert on this -- but on my own system, once a VRDB generation has started in "idle" mode it's quite happy to grab a few seconds at a time of processor time, if necessary, until it's done.  You'd have to be very busy with the keyboard and/or mouse to seriously delay the VRDB.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 01:54:23 AM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

shgoh

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 04:51:27 AM »
no worries lee....and welcome to avast forums.. ;D

techie101

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 06:40:54 AM »
Mike,
Quoted from my previous post:
" However, once you start inputing again, the VRDB will temporatily halt and wait for the next idle period."

The "initial idle" may be a few minutes, but once the VRDB gets started, it will....as you said...steal some processor time when it can.  That time can vary from machine to machine depending on the processes that are running in conjunction with keypad inputs, but is still considered the next "idle period", or period of inactivity.

Expanding on my previous post....the VRDB will attempt to complete in the shortest amount of time within the retraints of the system operation.

After reading your post, I felt that some clarification was indeed necessary.

Techie
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 06:46:13 AM by Techie101 »

lees4

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 02:35:21 PM »
Thanks Techie,. and everyone who has replied! you have been a great help.....................

I love this place ;D