Author Topic: Google to launch browser to battle IE  (Read 38807 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Google to launch browser to battle IE
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 01:00:09 AM »
For those who have it installed, are you able to move your bookmarks from another browser to it?
Yes, from Firefox.

So no need for Ashweb to scan it and slow things down! ::)
WebShield is working perfectly. No need to change anything into avast4.ini file.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 01:05:16 AM »
Yes but is the web shield actually scanning the content, check the detailed view, last scanned and scanned total fields ?

If not you would need to edit the avast4.ini and add the OptinProcess line.

[WebScanner]
OptinProcess=executableFileName.exe
David, can you be more specific? What is exactly the text to copy/paste? :P

I though I had been quite specific but made some assumptions that the information would be enough for you.

Which is why I said"check the detailed view, last scanned and scanned total fields," if it is you obviously don't have to do anything. Which appears to be the case, assuming you didn't change the browser to use the proxy (which is effectively the same as editing the avast4.ini).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 01:38:48 AM »
the webshield will work
go to options in the browser
change proxy settings
under advanced in LAN
put in the http slot-localhost
and in the port -12080
Thanks David,
I did what quoted and I think it did the trick... 8)

drhayden1

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 02:36:27 AM »
which there was a customize toolbar function or something so you can have a home page button and such
maybe in future versions ??? ::) ;)

drhayden1

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 03:04:43 AM »
guess they won't
which there was a customize toolbar function or something so you can have a home page button and such
Chrome’s interface has some bold changes from the standard browser design. These new features enhance the Web experience, but they will require some adjustment on the part of users. For instance, Chrome does away with most menus and toolbar icons to give maximum screen space for the Web pages themselves. Also, Google has merged the address bar, where you type in Web addresses, with the search box, where you type in search terms. This unified feature is called the Omnibox.
http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/52190/First-Test-of-Chrome-Google%E2%80%99s-New-Browser;_ylt=Av2K.0NAR0iCy3vsBO.wRS67YWsA?tickers=goog,msft,aapl
gee-answered my own question ::) ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 03:07:36 AM by drhayden1 »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 03:16:26 AM »
But I must admit... it's very very fast...
Hope it works. Hard to tell if FF is really faster than chrome or vice-versa 8)
Speed wise, there isn't any comparison. Chrome runs circles around Firefox in the speed department.

Did anyone notice that its based on WebKit (Safari's rendering engine) :P?

Edit: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/01/google_planning_new_chrome_browser_based_on_webkit.html
The report says the new Chrome browser will combine Apple's Webkit, Google's Gears, and a new JavaScript virtual machine called V8, intended to dramatically speed up the performance of JavaScript code, particularly the code used in building significant web apps. The document outlines that Google's Chrome team selected Webkit for the same reason Android developers did: it's fast, simple, uses memory efficiently, and "it was easy for new browser developers to learn to make the code base work."

And im sure the fact that Google's CEO is on Apple's Board of directors didn't hurt either ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 03:22:48 AM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

hithere

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 04:32:36 AM »
maybe in future versions ??? ::) ;)

There is an option to show Home button and it's not even hidden. Options / Basics / Home page section

This browser rules. So fast, so reliable I'm loving it. Little quirks will be ironed out once this amazing browser goes gold.

YoKenny

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 04:39:36 AM »
Bye bye Firefox? :'(
That's always been my motto.

wyrmrider

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 05:26:31 AM »
Those of you that love ad-sense
and are aware of Google's purchase of OINGO
should BVVC about the privacy aspects of dealing with GOOGLE, G-Mail, etc.

Sesame

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 10:46:46 AM »
Reading some early reviews on the net, it does seem to do quite a lot of things "automatically."  I like tweaking software as well as hardware, so, if Google thinks Firefox is way too far customizable for their intention, then, it simply means their needs and my needs don't meet each other.

jerry12

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2008, 12:00:12 PM »
it is faster than IE but it is probably me i like IE better i guess because that's all i have used in the past i have FF and opera on my computer but seldom use them. one thing that i missed was the settings that i could control i am sure i didn't give it enough time.  ???

drhayden1

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »
[quoteThere is an option to show Home button and it's not even hidden. Options / Basics / Home page section
thanks....garfield needs some glasses perhaps 8) ;)

Faizfast6

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Seeing the name "Chrome" makes me think of a Firefox component. I'll be sticking to Firefox.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
it is faster than IE but it is probably me i like IE better i guess because that's all i have used in the past i have FF and opera on my computer but seldom use them. one thing that i missed was the settings that i could control i am sure i didn't give it enough time.  ???

Same here jerry, I'll stick with IE.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2008, 05:42:34 PM »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:48:52 PM by marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!