Author Topic: Google to launch browser to battle IE  (Read 38605 times)

CharleyO

Re: Google to launch browser to battle IE
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2008, 07:13:59 PM »

Since this is Google ... be prepared for unwanted ads, cookies galore, and possibly spam ... maybe not now but it will happen eventually.

wyrmrider

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2008, 07:33:16 PM »
not just spam but targeted spam to enhance your internet experience

Faizfast6

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, 11:22:11 PM »
Guess what,

Chrome uses WebKit as it's rendering engine which is also used by Safari. But I'll still stick to Safari for Windows and Firefox.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:24:04 PM by Faizfast6 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 12:36:02 AM »
Not sure whats so great about Safari compared to Chrome. If i'd had to chose between these two, i'd go with Chrome anytime.
Even in this early stage. It's different though when you compare it with FF and Opera.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

gdiloren

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 01:49:54 AM »
From what I gather, this forum tends to say:"stay with FF 3.0.1, you could go for Opera, avoid Chrome and upmost IE 7 or 8". Am I right?   ???

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008, 02:39:42 AM »
I'm staying with Opera & Scroogle Scraper. 8)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:50:13 AM by rdmaloyjr »

bunk

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008, 02:42:11 AM »
I think i'll just stay with FF 2 as it works well for me, and is more stable than the others i've tried.

gdiloren

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, 04:31:42 AM »
I think i'll just stay with FF 2 as it works well for me, and is more stable than the others i've tried.
But shouldn't you use FF 3.0.1 for extra security??? May be you run win 98?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2008, 04:31:46 AM »
Not sure whats so great about Safari compared to Chrome. If i'd had to chose between these two, i'd go with Chrome anytime.
Even in this early stage. It's different though when you compare it with FF and Opera.
Well Chrome uses Safari's Rendering engine (WebKit), so when you use Chrome you are really using mostly the same engine as Safari :).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:33:46 AM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
Not really. It's WebKit indeed, but JS engine is completelly Google based (JS V8 Engine) and from what i read it's far more multithreaded oriented than the one in any other browser (including Safari).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

bunk

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »
No gdiloren, I use XP....... Freshly installed on one of these in fact: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0288084

There are multiple reasons that I havn't updated to FF3 yet, one being that people are having issues viewing various forum pages in other forums i'm in. And the ones over there that have switched, have complained about the way FF3 functions all the time, most of them either have switched back to FF2, or wish they had.

I do beleive I have good enough security set up now, that I dont have to rely on a browser for it, although FF is far superior in security than IE, and I do like the added security it provides.

Most of you guys here are pretty good techs, and like myself, you can sort these issues out fairly quick with the newer versions of things, but the common users are in fact having a lot of problems with FF3.

It's just another headache I dont need at the moment.......  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:25:32 PM by bunk »

Faizfast6

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 03:45:40 PM »
I don't have any problems with forums on FF 3.0.1 on both XP and Ubuntu but I think I never been to forums often since then.

But I have to agree with you about stability, FF 3.0 crashes more often then FF 2.0 but it's still an early release.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2008, 08:06:11 PM »
Not really. It's WebKit indeed, but JS engine is completelly Google based (JS V8 Engine) and from what i read it's far more multithreaded oriented than the one in any other browser (including Safari).

I know it has a different JS engine, thats why I said "Mostly" the same engine as safari ;)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »
Hi forum members,

I was contemplating the subject of this thread long enough to come up with an alternate thought.
With all the inevitable teething and security problems that will occur Why would Google push their own browser?

Its simple they taken (literally) code from Firefox 3 stripped out the Gecko rendering engine and replace it with WebKit rendering engine, so its using the same technique as their upcoming Android platform (technically its more standards compliment than gecko), it natively leverages their gears tech and has a nice sandbox feature (I suspect based on their GreenBorder acquisition) for when “pages go’ bad” not bringing your entire browser down just the tab.

Now the biggest downside … it’s not extendable – no extensions – no Ad-block plus! Now let’s revisit the question again.

Why would Google push their own browser?

Their not worried about IE .... their worried about Firefox getting market share!

polonus
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:34:32 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

chargers

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2008, 11:01:52 PM »
i don't care if they made ie 20, opera 20.5,or safari OX 100 there's nothing that is going to compare or beat the big bad FOX.just deal with it ,live with it ,just handle the damn truth!!!!!!!!! it's all about firefox plain an simple .....