Author Topic: Web Shield Not Scanning w/ Google Chrome Browser  (Read 13705 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Web Shield Not Scanning w/ Google Chrome Browser
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 02:46:44 AM »
In my case the Optin=0 was added by using (long ago) the "WebShield power mode" option in Rejzor's avast External Control program. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 02:47:45 AM »
Optin=0
Yes, it's there... I have changed so deeply my avast installation that I don't know anymore what is default and what is what I'm seeing in front of my eyes...  :-[
Good shot Alan  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 02:53:16 AM »
Optin=0
Yes, it's there... I have changed so deeply my avast installation that I don't know anymore what is default and what is what I'm seeing in front of my eyes...  :-[
Good shot Alan  ;)

Since this is a relatively new system my avast installation is very close to the default settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 03:04:40 AM »
Since this is a relatively new system my avast installation is very close to the default settings.
No way for me... even a 'new' installation will get all the old tweaks of avast4.ini file in my case...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 03:39:10 AM »
Well I have just downloaded it, took ages on dial-up and I have just added OptinProcess=chrome.exe to the [WebScanner] section, no joy not scanning chrome content even after restarting chrome, will try restarting the web shield.

OK working after terminating and restarting the web shield.

I have to say I not to impressed about not having my Firefox (highlights spelling errors, doesn't give option to add to dictionary) add-ons, but I have created a shortcut to run it under DMR.

So far not to impressed with the look and feel, I guess that's what you get trying something in this early stage of development.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 03:50:11 AM »
So far not to impressed with the look and feel, I guess that's what you get trying something in this early stage of development.
Feel the same... too simple, few features and options.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 04:00:50 AM »
I hate the total lack of configurability, it isn't a patch on firefox for usability, but it does seem faster, but speed isn't everything as it takes longger to do things. As far as security goes I have this nagging doubt at the back of my mind.

Straying off topic so I will end it there.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 05:50:19 AM »
I tested it ... reported as above ... agree with both of you ... and then used my trusty Goback to remove all vestiges of it from my system.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 06:00:28 AM »
Just adding what little info I have here from the silicon forest,
my tech guru here says that the Chrome browser is full of security holes right now.
He advises extreme cation if you use it. He better advises to wait till the holes have been "plugged".
The following link is a story written up on it. http://reddevnews.com/news/print.aspx?editorialsid=10170 

Might be worth reading  ;)

JonM

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 01:39:48 PM »
Guys - thanks for looking into this.  My ini file was the (untouched) default, and I can confirm that "optin" doesn't appear.  That may well explain the different results I was getting.

Cheers,

JonM

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
I tested it ... reported as above ... agree with both of you ... and then used my trusty Goback to remove all vestiges of it from my system.

It is heading that way for me too, it really is to early to be a workable alternative to firefox, opera or god forbid IE, as fast as it might be it has to be something that increases work rate/usability not just load pages faster if the end result is that over all productivity wise it is slower. Sad but true it will be off my system before my drive image back-up tomorrow and I will wait until it has some more development.