Author Topic: I have to turn off Avast to access some sites  (Read 3927 times)

StaciC

I have to turn off Avast to access some sites
« on: September 03, 2008, 06:30:36 AM »
I have Avast Home Edition 4.8.1229.  Up until last week I had no problems with it. However, around Friday I was no longer able to access PayPerPost's web site with Avast turned on.  I've searched this forum and done several of the suggested things.

I've used Norton and McAfee Removal Tools to remove any last traces of those virus programs. I've then uninstalled Avast using Add/Remove, downloaded the Avast Removal Tool, used it, and installed a clean copy of Avast.  That didn't solve my problem.

I've also added www.payperpost.com and www.payperpost.com/login to the list of excluded sites in Web Shield.  That didn't solve the problem.

Ditto on pausing Web Shield or stopping it altogether.

I've also run Avast to see if I have a virus; I don't.  I also don't have any spyware, and I've cleared out my cookies, temporary internet files, cache, etc.  The problem still persists.

The only thing that works is deactivating Avast altogether until the login process is through.

I don't have Zone Alarm Firewall, just the standard firewall that comes with Windows XP.

The message that I get on Firefox is that the connection to the server was interrupted and that I need to try again.  The message that I get on IE7 is that the site could not be loaded.

Obviously, Avast is causing the problem if I can access the site when Avast is off.  However, that's not the safest course of action, I would assume.  Does anyone know a way around this problem other than the ones that I have tried?

I'm running Windows XP, Firefox 3.0.1, and IE7.

Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: I have to turn off Avast to access some sites
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
I can't offer you much help, I'm afraid, except to say that I'm also running Avast, Firefox 2, Comodo Firewall, on Windows XP and have no trouble getting to those sites. I tried with the webshield on normal, and again on high.
I don't think, therefore, that it is necessarily the webshield causing this, though your troubleshot seems to indicate it is.
The only thing I noticed is that the site is a bit slow to load, don't know whether your (or my) distance from wherever it's hosted could be causing a timeout, but that seems a likely explanation.
I'm in NewZealand.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

StaciC

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 03:30:14 PM »
Well up until I updated Avast, I didn't have a problem accessing them either. It's funny that I can access them with Avast turned off, but if you turn it off, you're not protected.

I've seen elsewhere on here that some people have had the same problem, just with different sites.

StaciC

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 03:32:20 PM »
Sorry. I meant to add that I'm in the US if that helps. I do have Customer Love at PayPerPost checking to make sure that my IP hasn't been blocked, but if it were, you would think that I wouldn't be able to access it with Avast turned off.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
I've also added www.payperpost.com and www.payperpost.com/login to the list of excluded sites in Web Shield.  That didn't solve the problem.
Use www.payperpost.com*

Site seems clean to DrWeb (but avast detects better the sites infection than DrWeb).
The best things in life are free.

StaciC

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 05:41:18 PM »
I did do that actually,  www.payperpost.com*.  I also did it before, too: http://*.payperpost.com to be safe. I wish it were that simple. :(

It's not saying that the site isn't clean, although if it weren't, I guess that would explain my inability to access it.  The error message I get just either says connection or server interrupted in Firefox or page cannot load in IE.  It's not saying anything about a virus.  From past experience, I know Avast has sirens go off when there is a virus or adware on a site. Plus, it's not all the time, just randomly.  I can access it maybe once or twice a day.  The rest of the time I get the connection message and have to turn off Avast.

Thanks for trying Dr. Web for me!

Maybe if I try installing Avast again from a different location, assuming that's even possible, or just downloading it again.