Author Topic: Avast no longer likes ATF Cleaner  (Read 9517 times)

Zigg

Avast no longer likes ATF Cleaner
« on: September 03, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »
I've been using ATF Cleaner with avast for a long time now.  After updating avast today when I tried to run ATF a warning from avast appeared so I moved to chest.  I went to ATF's site to download a new copy and I got a warning from avast.  Is there really something wrong with ATF Cleaner.  I have seen it recommended at a number of sites?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast no longer likes ATF Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »
Yes, a false positive from avast (Trojan-gen).
Hope they correct it soon.
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »
Hi Tech,

These number of ridiculous FP's in avast is growing. Cannot they do a bit of whitelisting? ATF is a proggie millions have to clean their crap after a browsing session. I will not touch it until the FP is fixed, but the FP rate with avast is becoming very annoying. And they should do something to bend this trend into another direction before it becomes damaging the reputation of this very good av software. Better detection rate, OK, but not at all costs,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

wyrmrider

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »
I do not think AVAST FP rate is as large as some with high heuristics turned on :)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 11:44:09 PM »
You need to look at what some of these programmes do and compare them to the actions of trojans/malware.  For example Processkill is very useful if you need to stop and delete malware.  But, it can also be used by malware to stop AV's/Firewalls.  ATF digs deep and deletes files - so does malware it is a matter of finding a balance.  And don't forget malware writers have the upper hand    

troy512

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 01:34:38 AM »
I've been using ATF Cleaner with avast for a long time now.  After updating avast today when I tried to run ATF a warning from avast appeared so I moved to chest.  I went to ATF's site to download a new copy and I got a warning from avast.  Is there really something wrong with ATF Cleaner.  I have seen it recommended at a number of sites?

exactly what i just experienced

Yes, a false positive from avast (Trojan-gen).
Hope they correct it soon.

i hope so too

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 01:45:47 AM »
Hi folks,

Avast is a good product, no doubt about it, but some FPs can be quite a nuisance, especially as you use these programs several times during the day,

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 05:24:17 AM »
Avast is a good product, no doubt about it, but some FPs can be quite a nuisance, especially as you use these programs several times during the day
Amen to that.  I ordinarily use ATF-Cleaner throughout the day, but not avast! flagged it as infected.  I notified avast! about this fp 14 hours ago via email, and included a link to where the program is downloaded so they could see for themselves.  A lot of ATF-Cleaner users have had their programs screwed up because of this.  I believe that 14 hours is a long time to not issue a fix.
 http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38408.msg321818#msg321818

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 06:51:49 AM »
While I can only agree with the basic sentiment in this thread methinks a little too much angst can be generated over these false positives.  The avast team is pretty much on the ball on fixing them. 

It very much seems to be a case of what causes me grief for the users affected. 

I do not recall some of the users complaining in this thread weighing in when every user of the yahoo.com homepage (which probably outweighs this little fracas considerably) was getting a false positive from Webshield.

Zigg

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »
Updated today and Atf nolonger gets a warning.  Great Fast response.