Author Topic: Avast Startup Hard Drive Scan  (Read 11522 times)

Sam Hobbs

Re: Avast Startup Hard Drive Scan
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 11:54:49 AM »
It's not scanning file on opening... it's about scanning executables on run. If you uncheck it, the resident protection will be SEVERELY disabled... ::)
Probably files and executables are the same thing except different terminology. An executable is stored on disk as a file.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »
If avast is downloading virus updates during startup, then just disable automatic updates.
No, this is not advisable. You can delay the updating after boot/login easily... avast is very configurable...
The best things in life are free.

Sam Hobbs

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 06:05:15 AM »
If avast is downloading virus updates during startup, then just disable automatic updates.
No, this is not advisable. You can delay the updating after boot/login easily... avast is very configurable...
Yet the option is there. I tried to emphasize that if automatic updates are not done, that the updates must be done somehow. Obviously performance is not a problem for your system, but the person asking for help is not as fortunate as you. Those of us that have more limited resources would be very happy to have better computers and to use automatic updates and let our AV program take care of things.

Actually, I don't like software such as Windows to do things without my knowledge. For some software, the only way to know what is happening is to select options that disable automated updates and such. For security reasons, it is best if people have an explanation of all activity in their system. It is not possible to know everything, but the more we know about what is happening, the better prepared we are to recognize something (malware) that is not supposed to be happening.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »
Yet the option is there. I tried to emphasize that if automatic updates are not done, that the updates must be done somehow.
I'm not saying to change the update behavior, I'm saying that you can configure it and make your boot easier/faster.
To delay the update of avast into a permanent internet connection (DSL) you can change the value AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds into avast4.ini file into the [InetWD].
You could set the number of seconds to wait before attempting to update. The default is 30 but it may not be enough in some DSL systems. In this case, you can try increasing this e.g. to 60 (1 minute). That should be enough.
More details here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

Obviously performance is not a problem for your system, but the person asking for help is not as fortunate as you. Those of us that have more limited resources would be very happy to have better computers and to use automatic updates and let our AV program take care of things.
On contrary, my computer is not as good as you're thinking...

Actually, I don't like software such as Windows to do things without my knowledge. For some software, the only way to know what is happening is to select options that disable automated updates and such. For security reasons, it is best if people have an explanation of all activity in their system. It is not possible to know everything, but the more we know about what is happening, the better prepared we are to recognize something (malware) that is not supposed to be happening.
I want to know what is happening, but I also want protection and the computer running with the latest updates of some softwares, so I let some updates on automatic (like Windows and antivirus).
The best things in life are free.