Author Topic: When does Google Chrome talk to Google? - for the paranoid..  (Read 4527 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
When does Google Chrome talk to Google? - for the paranoid..
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:10:15 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Eventually the privacy questions would be raised for the new Google Chrome with which especially in Europe Google is establishing a lock-in monopoly position. What is communicated to Google can be found here: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-communication/
It is advisable to have various browsers on your box, and also to use scroogle,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

CharleyO

Re: When does Google Chrome talk to Google? - for the paranoid..
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:20:01 PM »

I agree, Polonis, but I do not know if Scroogle would be enough. After all, the information might still be gathered through what web pages are displayed within the Chrome browser.

Am I wrong?    ???

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
Hi CharleyO,

Do the test, and type in Google Chrome "about%" without the "" naturally, then you know what Google is about. Is GoogleChrome a big sort of keylogger, there is no escape, folks, we are owned by the Borg!

polonus

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 08:12:41 PM »
Thanks for the info polonus.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:44:55 PM »
Hi marc57,

And all you post via Google Chrome is irrevocably Google's property without paying you a cent:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/google_chrome_eula_sucks/

polonus

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 08:48:56 PM »
Hi marc57,

And all you post via Google Chrome is irrevocably Google's property without paying you a cent:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/google_chrome_eula_sucks/

polonus

Yep, that's one of the reasons I got rid of it.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 08:49:58 PM »

What we have to remember is that Google is in business to make money. So, they are going to gather whatever information they can on you and your internet habits.

I posted elsewhere on this forum that in time, Google Chrome will be providing you with unwanted ads, cookies galore, and possibly spam.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
Hi CharleyO,

But it makes a difference how. De congenito googlianicus chromae 

Google has released a tool which is concerning because it directs people to pre-selected commercial websites.
The AutoLink "feature" comes with GoogleChrome and provides links in a webpage to Amazon.com if it finds a book's ISBN number on the site.
It also links to Google's map service, if there is an address, or to car firm Carfax, if there is a licence plate.
Google's dominant position in the search engine market place means it is giving a competitive edge to firms like Amazon. etc.
AutoLink works by creating a link to a website based on information contained in a webpage, even if there is no link specified and whether or not the publisher of the page has given permission.
It means, for instance, that online libraries that list ISBN book numbers are directing users to Amazon.com whether they like it or not. It can be turned off, but is there as by default,

polonus

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • KISS Army
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 11:29:53 PM »
Hey polonus, Have you seen this?

Google amends Chrome license agreement after objections

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/09/03/Google_amends_Chrome_license_agreement_after_objections_1.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 11:40:31 PM »
Very sharp, most users don't bother reading the EULA and even if they did, unlikely to have a clue what it meant.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jerry12

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 12:33:28 AM »
i deleted chrome last nigh after about thirty min of using it.i didn't like the fact that i could not do much in settings i want options that i can control.when i deleted it none of my icons links on my desk top would work it took me a while to get things going again.  ??? i have firefox and opera on my computer but i don't use them i will just keep using IE.  :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 12:54:27 AM »
Hi jerry12,

You realized it was a beta, didn't you? Yes, it is intended for users that click and do not think about the consequences much, and also to urge IE to come up with some better browser than IE7. There is so many people that think browsing equals IE that they could score with a product that could be a lot faster, a lot more secure, more according to web standards. It is not what this fight between Google and Microsoft is basically about it is not browsers but Google's aspirations in webapps and Microsoft that does everything to frustrate that effort.
A thing with GoogleChrome that they underestimated the user where he wants to have some control as what happens in the browser. Some want to block ads (not Google's interest), some want to block profiling scripts (NoScript) (not possible), I cannot easily clean out the cache with crap cleaners, I made a DNS-servers trace and saw GChrome visit www.google-analytics.com, www.google.com, www.google.nl, safebrowsing.google.com, docs.google.com, blogsearch.google.com, images.google.com, finance.google.com, mail.google.com, groups.google.com, maps.google.com, news.google.com, scholar.google.com, sites.google.com, video.google.com, static.cacheL.google.com, clients1.google.com,
translate.google.com, pagead2.googlesyndication.com all during a short 15 min. surfing with this browser or is it a keylogger I agreed to install myself?

polonus