Author Topic: How do I know when e-mail is scanned  (Read 9606 times)

ldj1002

Re:How do I know when e-mail is scanned
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 07:25:24 PM »
How do I get the little mail checking icon in the task bar?

wilbertnl

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 09:29:34 PM »
How do I get the little mail checking icon in the task bar?

In Windows:
Start / All Programs / Avast! Antivirus / Mail Protection Wizard.

In the Wizard:
Next / Next / Tick "Show taskbar icon when processing mail" / Next / Finish

ldj1002

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 12:24:53 AM »
I just did that and the icon still isn't there. Maybe it is because my POP3 mail server is't correct there and the correct one isn't there in the drop down menu. How do I get the right mail server there?
L.D.

shgoh

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2004, 01:49:25 AM »
I just did that and the icon still isn't there. Maybe it is because my POP3 mail server is't correct there and the correct one isn't there in the drop down menu. How do I get the right mail server there?
L.D.

what do you mean that your pop server not there?....if you meant the mail wizard...then we have to clear things up a little...

from what i known...the default servers asked by the wizard is for communication with avast....for eg. sendin virus files to alwil etc...

just be sure that you ticked all accounts when setting up the mail wizard... :)

also check your avast.ini located at default folder

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA

learn how to configure the avast.ini here...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647;start=msg10233#msg10233

check that under the mailscanner section...

ShowTrayIcon is 1

ldj1002

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 03:39:04 AM »
Thanks for RE: However I am still lost on the e-mail. The drop down menu I was talking about, I can't find it for the life of me now. It was a window that had a drop down for the SMPT and POP3 servers. One was listed and the drop down had one more to select from. It was an e-mail account I haven't since I went to cable isp about 4 months ago. Any way I read in part the link you sent for setting up .ini. It is too much for my limited knowledge to do all that. I was using AVG and the updates got impossible to get so I am trying this. This is easy for me to scan anything except for the e-mail. I have 2 e-mail accounts, 1 web, Netscape and one from My ISP. Surely there is a place I can read step 1, 2, 3 how to set up and use the e-mail protection. I can't even find the way to bring up the mail wizard so I can try again.
Thanks,
L.D.

shgoh

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 01:03:14 PM »
hi ldj1002

avast don't support web-based emails...only email clients like outlook...eudora...thunderbird etc...however not to worry....avast standard shield will do the trick... ;)

that means that avast standard shield will detect any virus when you try to open a downloaded infected attachment...

as for your ISP mail....it should not be a problem setting up avast....

the mail wizard should be in the windows start menu...programs...avast!...

if it's not there....try to locate this file..

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashPopWz.exe

once you locate the mail wizard....try reading up avast help file...it's very informative about how to set up mail protection... :)

hope this will guide you through...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 01:05:05 PM by shgoh »