Author Topic: Network Shield (also lightweight firewall)  (Read 14105 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Network Shield (also lightweight firewall)
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
No. Web Shield serves a different purpose. While Network Shield is checking malicious packets (like Sasser or MSBlast generated TCP traffic) and checking of webpage addresses, Web Shield is scanning the actual transfered data. So anytime you view a webpage, pretty much entire content of that webpage is scanned by avast! even before it actually enters the browsers and also all downloaded files that come through HTTP protocol are also scanned. This way you can prevent known exploits from affecting possibly still vulnerable browser.
It also prevents known bad downloads (files) from even reaching your hard drive.
Thats why it's almost critical to run at least Standard Shield, Network Shield and Web Shield providers together (not just one or another alone), because only together they fully cover wider range of possible security holes to your system and provide maximum security.
All other providers are not exactly necessary but they also provide additional protection layer depending on what programs you are using (email clients, P2P software, IM etc).
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »
From the above comments, it seems the Web Shield is therefore useless if one uses the Network Shield.
Is that right?

Sorry, totally wrong as they are looking at totally different things.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fblais

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 01:55:34 PM »
Thanks for the more detailed information.
I was running the Standard Shield alone, but will now enable both the Network and Web ones.

Nice day,
François