Author Topic: Avast leaves defragged files  (Read 5853 times)

Barr_y

Avast leaves defragged files
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:46:36 PM »
My defrag program automatically starts every Wednesday morning, but always I notice it leaves defragged Avast files. Is this normal or can I do anything about it please?

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Avast leaves defragged files
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:07:07 PM »
My defrag program automatically starts every Wednesday morning, but always I notice it leaves defragged Avast files. Is this normal or can I do anything about it please?

I assume you really mean fragged or undefragged. ;)
These logs are protected by avast! self-defense. if you really feel the need to have them included in your defrag you'll need to disable self-defense first.

Personally, they are only small ASCII files and it's not worth the effort, or (admittedly slight) risk.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 03:37:19 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Barr_y

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 04:20:48 PM »
I meant my computer is defragged every week on Wednesday morning. The red squares show Avast files as still defragged and not fragged as you said.

Why would the files be in this state and not fragged as all other files. There must be a reason. I am always seeking a reason.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
Why would the files be in this state and not fragged as all other files. There must be a reason. I am always seeking a reason.
Because files are being used and because avast self-protection module is turned on.
Some files, not only from avast, can only be defragmented in boot time: O&O, PerfectDisk, and a lot of other tools do that.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 04:41:34 PM »
Hi Barr_y

I'm now convinced you mean: The red squares show Avast files as still fragged and not defragged
and: Why would the files be in this state and not defragged as all other files. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question!

Tech and I have given the reasons. Maybe one of your friends can explain it better in person.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

wyrmrider

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 05:52:42 PM »
Does OP imply that when a file is read (and unpacked) and then rewirtten it is rewritten fragmented or as I would think just a copy is extracted and no rewrite done

Barr_y

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 06:52:33 PM »
I do use O&O and the meaning of defragging is this.
Defragging (defragmenting) moves the files back together and in a particular order to make it work more efficiently. So if you could be more precise, are you saying that Avast does not need to work as efficiently as my other programs, so why would they get to a fragmented state anyway.
Do not be patronising in your replies please. I came to seek an answer to a question.

wyrmrider

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:40:54 PM »
the log files shown in your first post are only 2 or 3 clusters big
what's there to defrag?
with or without defrag would have absolutely no effect on size or access
am I missing something here?
I'm also a big proponent of defraging
much easier to recover in event of a crash

Barr_y

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »
OK so now I have managed no fragmented files showing as Avast. I turned off the Avast Self Defence Module and used my O&O defrag again, then turned it back on again afterwards. If I had been told where that was it would have been a lot simpler to understand. I didn't know it was in the troubleshoot section and nobody mentioned this either. A nice clean defragged computer works well and I like my one just like that. Communication skills are an art and much more helpful when not fully understanding the program as all experts do.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 11:54:22 AM »
Communication skills are an art and much more helpful when not fully understanding the program as all experts do.
Well, without wanting to appear patronizing, I suggest that in future you apply that advice to the wording of any future queries you may have.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Barr_y

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 12:36:27 PM »
well Tarq57 you are patronising. Look at my first post and read it. A normal request with a please attached. if Techs answer had been the next with an explanation where to find the self protection module to turn off and complete my task, I would have been perfectly happy. I didn't need lectures on if I meant fragged or undefragged as next answer. I have managed to complete what I wanted to know and that is all I ever wanted. Simple answers to simple questions are always the best way forward and help people to understand a good free product.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
[Edited] Deleted. Inappropriate.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:59:48 PM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 02:53:14 PM »
Are you saying that Avast does not need to work as efficiently as my other programs, so why would they get to a fragmented state anyway.
No, avast will run better if you can defragment that files.
Use O&O boot time defragmentation...

Barr_y

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 03:25:06 PM »
Thank you Tech for your advice. I appreciate that. I Have now completed what I wanted to do.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 03:31:37 PM »
Thank you Tech for your advice. I appreciate that. I Have now completed what I wanted to do.
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)