Author Topic: viruses  (Read 50742 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: viruses
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 08:28:41 PM »
It doesn't seem to have been a problem, but I tend to stick with the main known players rather than something I haven heard of. It is difficult to know who are the main players as some reviews are written by the company itself, without stating an interest or affiliates who also have a vested interest. If you have a trusted forum that you frequent (avast hint), then actual user input is likely to be better. Lookout for users signatures as it will frequently show what programs they are using, hint.

Frequently a free scan when used as a hook will throw up detections which are non-existent and states that you have to purchase the paid option to remove them. It is called giving the user a headache so you can sell the aspirin.

So if that happens it should be a warning, that it might not be a great choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tvdxrools

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 08:40:15 PM »
It doesn't seem to have been a problem, but I tend to stick with the main known players rather than something I haven heard of. It is difficult to know who are the main players as some reviews are written by the company itself, without stating an interest or affiliates who also have a vested interest. If you have a trusted forum that you frequent (avast hint), then actual user input is likely to be better. Lookout for users signatures as it will frequently show what programs they are using, hint.

Frequently a free scan when used as a hook will throw up detections which are non-existent and states that you have to purchase the paid option to remove them. It is called giving the user a headache so you can sell the aspirin.

cheers i will check everything with a fine tooth comb from now on and leave free scans well alone i just put wot ad on to my fire fox so it might help to warn me in future about sites thanks to everyone who has helped i have learnt more in the past day than i ever knew about viruses malware spyware and all other infections you can pick up and what programs and scans help protect my computer thanks to all again

tvdxrools

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 09:34:59 PM »

cheers i will check everything with a fine tooth comb from now on and leave free scans well alone i just put wot ad on to my fire fox so it might help to warn me in future about sites thanks to everyone who has helped i have learnt more in the past day than i ever knew about viruses malware spyware and all other infections you can pick up and what programs and scans help protect my computer thanks to all again
  hi again just had my friend on the phone she was on the net downloading a game when she got a warning that her computer was being infected  she didnt get name of virus but her computer crashed and then closed down it wont boot up now and when it is put on it looks like dos is all mumbo jumbo and wont boot up you can even get into format looks like big trouble i cant see anyway of repairing it any ideas

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 10:02:53 PM »
You could try booting into safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml - or by trying the Last known good option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tvdxrools

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 10:18:49 PM »
You could try booting into safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml - or by trying the Last known good option.
i already tried booting in safe mode i cant even get to last good configuration im beginning to think this was not a virus she got all of a sudden from the game she downloaded im wondering if it been in the computer a bit longer and was doing damage shes not be scanning as often as she should she asked me to show install her antivirus software which is avast i scanned and got loads of viruses put them to chest and showed her how to use spydoctor but she hasnt been doing what she should she thinks it will never happen to her at the end of my patients as she is here now with me and just admitted not doing what she should so maybe this is her price to pay  ???

tvdxrools

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 11:29:34 PM »
i already tried booting in safe mode i cant even get to last good configuration im beginning to think this was not a virus she got all of a sudden from the game she downloaded im wondering if it been in the computer a bit longer and was doing damage shes not be scanning as often as she should she asked me to show install her antivirus software which is avast i scanned and got loads of viruses put them to chest and showed her how to use spydoctor but she hasnt been doing what she should she thinks it will never happen to her at the end of my patients as she is here now with me and just admitted not doing what she should so maybe this is her price to pay  ???
    hi i now have a list of the viruses from my friend computer got it to boot up after a lot of work dont know how i managed it she had 10 viruses avast got them on boot scan she had win32:gen win32adware:gen win32trojanadware:gen win32spyware win32rootkit:gen win32bravix[drp] bv:vapsup:a  win32hupigon win32:vapsup:e  win32agent:LT what do you know about these viruses i only recognise a couple of them as i had them myself cant find much info on them 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 12:24:10 AM »
Personally I don't think it would be a deliberate act by any virus, after all it really doesn't want to disable your system but to use it to spread, etc.

Though there are possible conflicts that might arise if they were to corrupt system files whilst trying to get established.

It is a bit of a futile exercise trying to get information on only the malware name as there is no standardisation or naming convention, this is even more difficult when it is generic detections (the -gen at the end of the name). You are more likely to get better information searching for the infected file name.

You would be advised to have your friend follow the instructions Tech gave in reply #5 of this topic.

tvdxrools

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 03:04:40 PM »
Personally I don't think it would be a deliberate act by any virus, after all it really doesn't want to disable your system but to use it to spread, etc.

Though there are possible conflicts that might arise if they were to corrupt system files whilst trying to get established.

It is a bit of a futile exercise trying to get information on only the malware name as there is no standardisation or naming convention, this is even more difficult when it is generic detections (the -gen at the end of the name). You are more likely to get better information searching for the infected file name.

You would be advised to have your friend follow the instructions Tech gave in reply #5 of this topic.
already done i did it last night my friend left with a clean computer thanks for the info

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »
You're welcome.

tvdxrools

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 06:35:04 PM »

tvdxrools

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 09:08:38 PM »
You're welcome.
cheers
    ive just done scanned my computer again has 72 infections and the trojan.tdsserv virus avast didnt find it first time around it was spy doctor that found it i am now doing high scan with avast hopefully get it this time i just read a bit on google about it and it tells me it is a high risk virus and can disable your virus software also also hide its self and take personal information and has the ability to change files in ur computer is this so it seems no matter what i do i keep getting these viruses dont know what the next move is help plz

wyrmrider

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 09:48:57 PM »
tvdxrools  you have two threads open- a sure invitation to a disaster
If you see this respond in THIS thread
and if you are working on two different computers keep them in separate threads

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

do not delete anything without googleing first- quarantine or move to vault/ chest

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?name=Trojan.TDSServ&threatid=383885
I found the same things you found now what about the others

you need to post the entire log

now
where is all tis stuff coming from?
What Firewall are you using?

please rt click avast ball and update programs
then rt click avast ball and schedule boot time scan
reboot - move all hits to chest as suggested and post log

then go to Malwarebytes.org
run Rogue Remover Free- let it deal with whatever it finds
AND
MalwareBytes Anti Malware  MBAM
update
check the box next to all nasties
click REMOVE CHECKED- a backup will be made
post the log

along with
read the stickie about HJT at the top of this forum
post a fresh HJT done AFTER the above

take your time and do these correctly
anything not clear post back

apologize to the OP in the other thread for hijacking his thread

tvdxrools

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 10:10:36 PM »

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

do not delete anything without googleing first- quarantine or move to vault/ chest

http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?name=Trojan.TDSServ&threatid=383885

now

AND
update
post the log

along with

thanks will do it just finishing a high scan with avast and nothing found so hopefully i will follow ur instructions and report bk shortly in this thread left apology to op for using his thread thanks 

tvdxrools

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 10:16:47 PM »

now

AND
update
post the log

along with

thanks will do it just finishing a high scan with avast and nothing found so hopefully i will follow ur instructions and report bk shortly in this thread left apology to op for using his thread thanks 
forgot to say i using windows vista firewall

tvdxrools

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 10:25:11 PM »

now

AND
update
post the log

along with

forgot to say i using windows vista firewall
do i want vrdb running on avast and if so what setting