Author Topic: Silent Mode and E-mail Scanning  (Read 3983 times)

redman

Silent Mode and E-mail Scanning
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »
I have read several of the messages about silent mode and e-mail scanning, but I cannot be sure of how to set up avast! Professional so that it doesn't display the yellow and red notification along the bottom of my monitor but simply deletes infected e-mails (not move them to the chest). Is it possible to set avast! Pro to work that way?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Silent Mode and E-mail Scanning
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 01:02:38 AM »
Yes. You need to configure the Virus page of settings of Internet Mail provider and Outlook plugin (if you use MS Outlook).
Choose: Send to Chest <if fails> Delete <if fails> Choose action.
The best things in life are free.

redman

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:24:24 AM »
Won't that send the infections to the chest though (which is not what I want to happen - I want them to be deleted)? If not, could you explain why? Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »
Won't that send the infections to the chest though (which is not what I want to happen - I want them to be deleted)? If not, could you explain why? Thanks.
Chest is safer, why won't you want the infections send to there instead of direct deletion?
If you want... Choose: Delete <if fails> Choose action.

redman

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 07:16:27 PM »
I get so much junk mail (fortunately 99+% is intercepted by my spam filter) that the chest would probably fill up rather quickly and I don't want the hassle of having to go in there and delete the viruses that avast! has quarantined.

I did try setting the option to delete on finding a virus in internet mail and that works as far as bypassing the chest is concerned, but I still get the red and yellow warning along the bottom of my screen and it's that which I am not sure how to turn off or even whether it can be.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:35:08 PM »
Sending email to the chest as alanrf would say, is a waste of time and you might as well delete as you are wanting to do anyway. You would have to accept that there may be occasions when you are consigning a legitimate email to the bit bucket. You should also note that avast isn't an anti-spam tool so won't detect spam unless it is also carrying a payload that is either infected or suspicious, so it won't have any impact on what gets past your spam filter.

The reason why it is a waste sending emails to the chest is that even if you decide to restore one, it is unlikely that avast will be able to insert it into the email database file where it would have been. This may possibly corrupt the database file with the possible loss of any emails already in that file.

This however isn't the case for regular files on your HDD which should be sent to the chest and investigate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 07:53:25 PM »
I still get the red and yellow warning along the bottom of my screen and it's that which I am not sure how to turn off or even whether it can be.
Set
ShowVirusTag=0
into avast4.ini file
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10268#msg10268

redman

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 09:32:16 PM »
I still get the red and yellow warning along the bottom of my screen and it's that which I am not sure how to turn off or even whether it can be.
Set
ShowVirusTag=0
into avast4.ini file
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10268#msg10268

Thanks. I have done that. So what changes would setting silent mode on make then, given that I have Internet Mail set to delete on finding a virus? Perhaps this silent mode thingy needs a bit better explanation in the help file or as a baloon pop-up in the GUI as simply putting with general answer Yes (OK) or with general answer No (Cancel) is not too clear (IMHO of course, but it seems that others find this a bit difficult as well).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 09:57:44 PM »
Yes, it's not clear, not simple.
Silent mode with answer No will send the file (email) to Chest.
But take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28088.msg229736#msg229736