Author Topic: avast! Web Scanner stopped working and was closed  (Read 5593 times)

mrcart

avast! Web Scanner stopped working and was closed
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:17:06 PM »
After being online a few minutes I usually receive this message from Windows (Vista Home Premium).  It further states, "A problem caused the application to stop working correctly.  Windows will notify you if a solution is available."  So far, nothing from them about a solution.  I'm using avast! 4.8.  Suggestions appreciated.

Bob

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! Web Scanner stopped working and was closed
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:24:52 PM »
Which other security program do you have installed?
Which firewall do you use?
Any other antivirus in the past in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 06:46:04 PM »
What was the full text of the Window Event Viewer entry ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mrcart

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:51:35 PM »
Which other security program do you have installed?
Which firewall do you use?
Any other antivirus in the past in this computer?

System Mechanic, firewall and system guard (whtever that is) are currently installed.  Until earlier this week I had AVG 8.0 Free on until it started periodically shutting down.  I had it, or earlier versions, on for more than a couple of years along with the System Mechanic, with no problems.

mrcart

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:52:16 PM »
What was the full text of the Window Event Viewer entry ?

The full text was my subject line and the quote in my original post.

mrcart

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »
Thought I would update this post since the problem has been resolved.  Perhaps someone may find the solution helpful.

Checking the overall control page of system Mechanic, I found that supposedly McAfee Virus Scan was operating on my computer (I had never knowingly installed any McAfee program.).  Using Search could not locate the McAfee files and neither could three separate uninstaller programs.  I emailed System Mechanic about the problem and they suggested going to McAfee.

I did that this morning and found that McAfee offers a couple of levels of free tech help.  One, a virtual technician, scanned my computer and said there was no McAfee product installed.  Next, I went to the free tech chat.  Filling out a brief questionnaire before the chat began enabled the support tech to already know the problem with his "Good morning" greeting.  Eventually, after perhaps five minutes of courteous and pertinent exchange between us, he sent me a url to get a super uninstaller of all McAfee products, from full applications to remnants, from my computer.  I ran that and it found numerous bits and pieces.  A restart after it finished and I checked again to see if System Mechanic still indicated that McAfee Virus Scan, or any other AV program, was still running.  It showed that there wasn't.

So, it appears that everything is clear again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
It is possible that if you bought this computer from new it might have had a trial copy of McAfee pre-installed that you weren't aware of,

Do you still have the url for this super uninstaller, it might help others ?
These are the ones I have suggested in the past was  and this seemed to work.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mrcart

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »
It's possible, but I've had the computer for more than a year.  In the past, System Mechanic has always shown that the AV app I wanted running was the one it recognized.  This prob with McAfee just showed up in the last week or so.

That being said, the app I obtained from McAfee is the one in the url you referred to, http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

To repeat, it worked like a charm!!

Bob

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 08:17:57 PM »
Thanks for confirming the URL it helps me keep an up to date list of uninstall tools.

Just glad that everything is now working as it should and no remnants of McAfee.