Author Topic: Windows updates manual instal  (Read 2856 times)

marauding

Windows updates manual instal
« on: September 07, 2008, 05:58:32 AM »

Hi!  I really need some help.  I wish to install the Microsoft Windows Updates on my
   computer manually.
   Unfortunately they have not been done for quite some time and there is a huge
   back log, due to my son being the main user and his neglect.
   Could someone please advise on how to do this in a step by step manner.....
   Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.....
    Thanks in advance......

CharleyO

Re: Windows updates manual instal
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »

It would be my advice to make sure the computer is clean before doing the updates.

Have you done this?

And if so, what programs were used?

A neglected computer could easily be riddled with malware and rootkits.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 01:36:19 PM »
CharleyO's advice is sound. There are good malware cleanup guides around the net, MajorGeeks has a good one http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313
Probably no need to go through the entire procedure, unless the indications are that something is not right.

I'm assuming (mainly from your old, earlier posts) that you use XP home with SP2. A more streamlined way to proceed, rather than downloading incremental updates might be to download the installer file for SP3. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en  it says here that this file (a whopping 316.4Mb) is intended for it professionals to update multiple computers on a network. It didn't prevent me from downloading it myself, though, simply because I wanted to save the installer in case of Bad Times.
The other, and recommended, way to do it is visit MS Update, and select only SP3. Let it do its thing, then revisit MS Update to see what further is required. You will see that the list of updates has shrunk considerably.
[edit] correct file size.

If that helps, and you are interested, I have some ideas for behavioural/settings/application thingies you may wish to put in place afterward, to semi-automatically take care of being up to date.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:17:05 PM »

Hi!  I really need some help.  I wish to install the Microsoft Windows Updates on my
   computer manually.
   Unfortunately they have not been done for quite some time and there is a huge
   back log, due to my son being the main user and his neglect.
  <snip>

My advice would be basically the same as Targ57 gives, but not to do it yourself, find a friend with broadband and have them download which ever is the latest SP (you don't say what OS you are using ?) and burn to CD or USB pen drive, transfer to the out of date system and install it off line. That would give you a head start before venturing on-line to get any updates since that SP version (latest, XP SP3 or Vista SP1).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security