Author Topic: Removing Avast Processes in Task Manager.  (Read 11351 times)

Parrot Marrot

Removing Avast Processes in Task Manager.
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:50:52 AM »
My computer is a relatively slow one. These days, running certain applications would result in a performance hit largely attributed to Avast's large demand for memory (some 10% of the total memory in use), especially after one of its processes occupies about 6% after heavy usage using an internet browser. I used to resort to manually removing unneeded processes, including Avast, since none of the programs I'm using either use the Internet or utillises unsecured portions of it.

But it's now apparent I can't do the same after Avast was upgraded to 4.8 from 4.7. Attempts to remove them result in "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied." messages.

As a result, I ended up uninstalling 4.8 and reinstalling using the old installtion file for 4.7 dated 2006. But Avast has now ended up auto-updating without my consent to 4.8, and I'm stuck with those pesky processes again.

I do not want to be burdened with something I am forced to carry along. I'm fully aware of what I am doing, and I'm clearly doing this at my own right. Why the need for this? Is there any way to remove these processes?

Parrot Marrot

Re: Removing Avast Processes in Task Manager.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »
Found a similar gripe. Here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38485.0

Will attempt to resolve this problem using instructions given there.

Parrot Marrot

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »
Problem has been resolved.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:06:05 PM »
These days, running certain applications would result in a performance hit largely attributed to Avast's large demand for memory (some 10% of the total memory in use)
There are better and more wiser solutions for antivirus demand of resources.
Which is your Standard Shield security level? High or Normal.
Can't you add the files been scanned to the Exclusion lists (if they're clean for sure)?
The best things in life are free.