Author Topic: Where do I find the files in chest after reintalled Avast??  (Read 10207 times)

romm

Where do I find the files in chest after reintalled Avast??
« on: September 07, 2008, 04:28:10 PM »
I had files in my removal hard desk I moved to chest. I recovered Windows and reinstalled Avast after that and I cannot find the files in the chest or the window even though the removal hard desk can recognize the files by the size. How am I able to get them back?

I appreciate any help, thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Where do I find the files in chest after reintalled Avast??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:00:32 PM »
If you reinstalled avast, first uninstalling and reinstalling then they are likely to be history. However, if you are looking at the chest using explorer, you are wasting your time as a) avast renames the files (as you are likely seeing) b) the contents of the chest are encrypted and c) it is a protected area.

To access files in the chest you need to Open the chest using avast as it is the only thing that can access files inside the chest.

Why did you move them to the chest ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

romm

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:21:59 PM »
Hi Thank you for reply,

I moved the files(almost size of 40G) to chest because that's what Avast suggested, it said it had something like trojan or W32procliant and my PC started to not work so I went to PC shop to fixed it. They said they recovered my PC (I am an expat in China and not expart in Computers) so I was like "...I don't really understand but ok, do it"   then now I reinstalled Avast hoping I would see my files in chest but no where to seen... I did not properly uninstalled Avast, now I'm worried. Are there any ways I can open them?

romm

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 05:25:54 PM »
and also I'm just looking the chest by clicking a chest icon from Avast4.8 basic user interface... are there other ways??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 06:30:13 PM »
I suspect if it was anywhere near 40GB or even 40MB that it could have been a serious infection by something like a file infecter, this could have infected many important system files and the removal of these, could possibly cause problems with the OS as you mention.

I don't know what necessitated the "I recovered Windows" comment, couldn't boot, etc. there simply isn't enough information and anything on my part would be pure speculation.

That is the correct way or one of them (right click the avast icon and select avast! Virus Chest)to get into the chest. If they were anywhere they would be in the Infected Files section of the chest. If they aren't there is it possible that the PC Shoe formatted your system and reinstalled windows, that would get rid of everything avast and the chest included.

If your windows is now running OK after the visit to the PC Shop, then IMHO, the last thing you would want to do would be restore possibly infected files to your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

romm

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:51:01 PM »
yes, the PC shop guys said in English that they would recover PC for me to make sure all the virus are gone... so they reinstalled windows...

my empty PC is running ok now :( do you know how to restore the files that are not shown and run them again?

You mentioned that "the PC Shoe formatted your system and reinstalled windows, that would get rid of everything avast and the chest included" does it mean the content of files are GONE? or restorable in some ways?

Thank you so much for your input :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 08:14:58 PM »
Reinstalling windows alone shouldn't remove applications or data, note I said 'shouldn't,' but I have no idea what the PC Shop did so can't speculate. Remember I started the point you quoted with If they aren't there it is possible and 'possible' being the operative word as I simply don't know what they did.

If there is nothing in the virus chest infected files section they are gone, history, kaput. There are tools that can recover deleted files, google search, (and we don't know what happened to these files), these however aren't very successful and less so the longer it is after deletion.

Even if they were 100% successful any recovered file is likely to be in fragments and in the case of files from the chest encrypted so the success rate would be even smaller. Again even if possible what would you want files back that were detected as infected, it is plain crazy, sorry I can't sugar coat it, that is a reality.

So those files that were in the chest are of no value whilst infected and if your system is working fine there loss isn't really an issue, unless there is something else you haven't mentioned.

romm

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 09:17:01 PM »
ok. I will try a software might helps to recover them! but the hope is that when I scaned the removal hard desk an hour ago, it acutually scanned the missing files. so there are there but just can't be seen... Thanks A Lot!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »
My problem is I can't get my head round why you want to get back infected files (what are they) ?

Also, you say avast was able to scan the missing files:
a) how do you know this ?
b) surely it should alert if these were previously in the chest as infected ?
If they were in the chest they would be encrypted and also shouldn't be scanned (report files unable to be scanned, etc.).
c) what is the location of the files ?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 09:24:25 PM by DavidR »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 09:24:17 PM »
Maybe the files where accidently moved not moved to the chest?

romm

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »
oh, those files are basically everything...  My school projects I was suppose to hand in last week to music files... it was my back up disk actually :-\ but i don't know for sure how I got into this never experienced incident but when I went to print out my school work at printing workshop and gave my hard drive (I shouldn't have but the size was big) to them... then, all the warning sound from Avast echoed in the shop non stop right after I plugged back to my PC. Could that mean the printer's PC has given my hard drive virus??
When I scan the hard drive the scanner run through the names of the files, no? I can see the names changes like every .1 sec.
I am pretty sure I pressed "move to chest" (mine is Japanese one so don't know what is exactly said in the US one) when Avast kept asking me what to do because it found some Trojan in each file. And when I checked before my PC was completely stopped working to see what to do, all the infected folders were in the chest.
When I open my hard drive from the local disk "H", they do not show the files that were previously in the chest. but the showing files don't match to the actual size of the whole disk, so there are something more. and I found one icon saying System Volume Information, maybe it has something to do with the missing files?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »
and I found one icon saying System Volume Information, maybe it has something to do with the missing files?

No that's your system restore folder. Do not try to recover the files that way as windows would not have made copies of your files.