Author Topic: Virus known, but not found when writing file to disc  (Read 8068 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Virus known, but not found when writing file to disc
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 03:07:54 PM »
Lets not lose sight of the fact that with the web shield enabled these files should be scanned. The reason this all came to a head was when you disabled the web shield to download and test using eicar.

Though as Alan said there are other downloaders (that do a better job than the default firefox download) and allow for the inclusion of a scan by avast. The string to enter to have avast scan those downloads is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe this is the most thorough of all the avast scans as it uses all avast unpackers (as required).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jeronim0

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 03:14:44 PM »
Yes I have a work-a-round and know that the core issue is that not all packers are used even if the standard shield is set to high.

If I would download the file directly from the web, then I would have no issue because WebShield would probably rport the virus.

However I am using an external program Alt.Binz for downloading from newsgroups and although there are engines for p2p and IM, there is none for usenet. When I download the file in that application, then I might also be able to set a virusscanner. I would need to check. Maybe I can set up a proxy for that as well for downloading from usenet within Alt.Binz. I will check.

I now know what my options are, thanks for the help and really quick responses. That is much appreciated!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »
Usenet uses NNTP port 119 and as such should be scanned by the Internet Mail provider, assuming you are using an email client (I use OE when viewing usenet, not very often) or nntp client (as you say alt.binz) that uses port 119 and standard NNTP protocols.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jeronim0

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 03:32:07 PM »
I will check it in the near future as I am going not going to be at home for a few days. I use nnttp via ssl (port 563) and did not use Internet Mail module of Avast, because I use Gmail only (and at work I sync it through imap, where we use a differen AV-product).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 03:46:02 PM »
If SSL and or a different port, 563, enter the equation then the Internet Mail provider wouldn't scan it, the whole idea of SSL is to keep prying eyes out, including AVs.

Though from avast version 5 it is going to be added so it can be scanned (not much use in the short term though).

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 05:10:34 AM »
I am guessing that you are using an application for NNTP secure downloads ... please check to see if it provides a way to have your completed downloads scanned by avast and if so then use ashquick.exe as the scanning program.