Author Topic: No internet connection (IE or Mozilla) - Vista system  (Read 6447 times)

tinas

No internet connection (IE or Mozilla) - Vista system
« on: July 16, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »
Hi, this is a rather long story, so please bare with me.  I really need some assistance.

I recently got a computer with Vista loaded on it.  The internet kept disconnecting, but I was able to reboot & it reconnected.  Pain in the butt, however, it worked.

About 1-1/2 weeks ago, I got a home security system that is linked through my phone line using a filter.  Five days after the installation, my internet conection went down for good.  Now, here is what I was told by my ISP tech support & the home security rep, as well as how I was brought here.

The ISP tech support had me reboot my computer and make sure that the basic set-up of the modem was correct.  When that didn't work, they told me to call the home security company since it is their problem as I need a filter.  The rep came out & checked out my computer.  He verified that there is a phone connection going into my modem.  He also verified that there was, in fact, a filter already in place. Then, he totally disconnected the home security system, and I was still unable to connect to the internet.  So, he referred me back to my ISP.

This brings me to today.  The ISP tech support had me "ping" (I don't understand that whole thing), and said that I was able to send the pings to them, so the problem was with my antivirus program (which is avast).  He said that I had to take down the firewall in the antivirus program, as this was causing the inability for my internet to connect.  So, I went to Control Panel, Systems, Windows Firewall, and added avast to the "exceptions".  Still no connection.

I did read through your forums & noticed a recent thread "Web Shield causes all browsers to stop working."  I don't understand a lot of computer lingo & wasn't able to follow what was said or the advice given.

Can someone help me out?  I am so frustrated!  I am dragging my work laptop home with me to go on the internet through a miscellaneous wireless connection.

One more thing:  I noticed that I do have Windows Defender for spyware/malware protection.

If anybody can walk me through what I need to do with easy-to-understand lingo, I would be so appreciative!  Thanks in advance!

Frustrated yet hopeful,
TinaS.

ardvark

Re: No internet connection (IE or Mozilla) - Vista system
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:26:20 AM »
Hi Tina...

What you're describing doesn't sound like it has anything to do with avast. My initial guess would be some kind of conflict between your modem (which I am assuming is broadband) and your home security system. If you disconnect the security system and the filter for it and reinitialize the modem (unplugging the power cord and then plugging it back in,) does this restore your internet connection?

Also. are you connecting wirelessly or through a USB or ethernet cable?

Windows Defender I'm quite positive has no role to play in this, either :)

Best Regards...

tinas

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 04:14:05 AM »
Thanks for responding, ardvark.

I just disconnected both the security system & the filter.  Then, I unplugged the modem, plugged it back in & rebooted the computer.  Still no connection...... :'(

I am connecting wirelessly through an ethernet cable.  The modem is a Zoom ADSL X6.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 04:21:45 AM »
The best things in life are free.

tinas

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 05:35:23 AM »
Which is the filter?  Um, it is like a phone cord that plugs in on both ends to the security system. (I think - that is what the home security rep pointed to when he said that I already have a filter)

ardvark

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »
I am connecting wirelessly through an ethernet cable.  The modem is a Zoom ADSL X6.

Hi...

Do you mean that your computer is connecting to the modem wirelessly or is there an ethernet cable from the modem that connects to your computer at the other end?

Best Regards...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:05:11 PM by ardvark »

tinas

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »
Ardvark,

The ethernet cable goes out of the modem & into my PC.

miscreant

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »
If your modem worked on and off for five days after the security system was installed and then didnt ,it suggests a possible faulty adsl filter or perhaps the modem itself is faulty or has incorrect settings.Have you checked exactly the modem settings i.e password login name or tried different filters or possibly different modem or router?.
m

tinas

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 12:21:13 AM »
miscreant,

Asking my ISP for a new modem was my next step. It started acting funny when I got a new computer w/ Vista (weeks before I got the security system); but now there is absolutely no connectivity.

Thanks for your input!

~Tina

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 07:10:38 AM »
Hi Tina...

I was wondering the same thing myself. I second miscreant's advice: It's quite possible a bad modem or filter is your problem here and it may have or may have not been caused by your security system. Let us know what you find out. :)

Best Regards...

bigporch

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 09:52:27 PM »
I also have the same problem.

I had my isp come out twice, change my cable and my modem, bought a new router, still the same problem. I eventually realized the problem was on my end, and finally narrowed it down to avast. When I disable on access protection firefox and ie work again, bring it back up they work for a bit and then slowly stop working. If I disable again it works. Done this in conjunction with disabling Zonealarm, but that is not the culprit, it is definetly avast.

galen

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 09:03:48 PM »
I also have the same problem.

I had my isp come out twice, change my cable and my modem, bought a new router, still the same problem. I eventually realized the problem was on my end, and finally narrowed it down to avast. When I disable on access protection firefox and ie work again, bring it back up they work for a bit and then slowly stop working. If I disable again it works. Done this in conjunction with disabling Zonealarm, but that is not the culprit, it is definetly avast.

I have the same problem here, possibly with one difference. I have tried all kinds of solutions, but none have worked so far. A question (the one difference?) - have you tried connecting from FF3 to the Mozilla updates site when every other site fails to respond? The reason I ask is that when mine locks up I can still get through to that site. This made me wonder if it might be OK with all https: sites - whilst they were slow to respond I did get through to a couple of others. This doesn't make any sense to me at all. I too had concluded that it had to be Avast! - all I could find on the web led to that conclusion. However, to a non-techie like me the business with the Mozilla site calls that into doubt - why would there be an exception for https: connection? Maybe someone has an idea?  Why would rebooting clear the problem?

My problem also seemed to date from switching to Vista from XP SP3, but it could just as easily have been an Avast! update at about the same time. Anyway, next time it happens I'll try disabling Webshield before I reboot the system to see what happens, but if anyone has any ideas in the meantime I'd be grateful.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 12:41:49 AM »
galen, WebShield does not scan https connections... Strange uh?
The best things in life are free.