Author Topic: Scanning creates problem files ....  (Read 3356 times)

Moose

Scanning creates problem files ....
« on: April 11, 2004, 08:36:40 PM »
Ok - spot the new guy !!!

Looked thru recent posts & searched without success, so here goes.

Whether I scan local drives or select files/folders, the scanner goes for a while ( I have 28,00 files on the drive in question ).  At around 26k, it hangs on a VERY big file then goes a little more then hangs on another VERY big file, etc.. until I get an error about no more room on drive.

I also have a collection of 1.6GB files suddenly appear on my drive, all prefixed with unp,   ie..unp80801, unp 876123, & so on.  Needless to say, I delete these things over & over before re-scanning......

As yet I have not fully scanned my hard drive as Avast4 seems to create a file of such magnitude then scans it, having to create a new file for this procedure, then scans that file while having to create another, etc, etc, etc, DISK FULL & CRASH.

Anyone had this happen.
Any idea what causes it.
Any idea how to stop it

I have had no problems with mail scanner or resident protection, just when I try to do a local scan  ???

regards to all
Moose
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 09:10:48 PM by Moose »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Scanning creates problem files ....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 01:43:46 AM »
Hi Moose, and welcome,

I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time, by a long shot  ;) ), but it sounds like you've got archive scanning enabled (i.e., ZIP's etc.).  Avast needs to expand these into "real" temporary files before it can scan them, and of course that takes disk space.

I was never clear on at what point avast! deletes these temp files, whether as they're completed or only after the complete scan is finished (which isn't happening in this case because of the disk-space problem).  I'd be happy to learn from one of the team (or anyone else who knows) more about how and when these temp files are cleared.

Try making sure the "include archives", or however it's worded, is not ticked and try it that way.  If avast! doesn't need to scan those, then it follows that it doesn't need to expand them either.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Moose

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 02:55:06 AM »
DOH !!! :-[

How obvious was that.  Now I'm a happy bunny !!  Thanks Mike.  ;D

And all because I followed HyperOS guidelines and partitioned @ 5GB for win_2k system.
Ho Hum !!
Am still curious about the multiple unpack files, tho......

Annyhoo, I guess the Resident Scanner watches out for baddies when I access the archive files so I'm covered that way.

Cannot believe I've actually managed a full drive scan thru to the 'ping' !!!  :D
Many, many thanks, once again.

regards
Jake

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 03:33:29 AM »
Moose, you can make your 'full' scan by parts, choosing some folders and then others. This way you can decrease the number of the temporary files.

But, how much free space do you have in your system?
The best things in life are free.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 09:09:53 PM »
Greets, Technical.

Am currently running a partitioned 80GB HDD with 4 Win OS
( 95, 98, 2k & XP pro )

9x are 3GB partitions with approx 2.3GB free space.
2k & XP are 5GB with approx 4GB free.

Xtra partitions for mass data storage ( = easy access to file system from all OS ).

Max application load is about 1GB on 1xw98 + 1xw2k drive, much less on 95 & XP drives plus other 98 & 2k.

The one driving me nuts was a W2K drive with 4GB free space creating one 1.6GB file after another - As you'll see, three of these and it crapped out Disk Full.

I'll just keep the checkmark off for now.
I may expand partition to 10GB as and when a new HDD arrives and see if that helps.

As I mentioned before, I set the drive size according to HyperOS guidelines to keep the system happy - guess they didn't forsee this scenario !!   ;)

regards
Jake