Author Topic: Internet Explorer  (Read 7738 times)

deacondan60

Internet Explorer
« on: September 10, 2008, 03:56:43 PM »
I just downloaded the Avast Home Edition on my friends computer and she cannot access her Internet Explorer (Yahoo Home Page).
Nothing was changed,, by me during the download. How do I correct this?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 06:17:36 PM »
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NAM

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 06:44:03 PM »
Hi I also have just installed Avast Home Version on my wifes computer.  Her computer is running XP and just the windows firewall.  When avast and the firewall is running I am able to download email through her outlook however cannot access the internet through IE.  I disable the firewall but keep Avast running I still am not able to access through IE. I re-enable firewall and disable avast and is no problem to access internet with IE.  I try to run the avast update and regardless of what is on or off or in any combination it continuously says that it cannot connect to internet.

Can anyone give me some advise on how to have her computer running properly.

Best Regards
NAM

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Remnants of another AV can cause conflicts that could result in this.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NAM

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:30:40 AM »
Dear David R,
I worked out that I did not use a reg cleanup when I removed the Norton that was on the computer before I installed the Avast.  I just uninstalled Norton using the Uninstall Command.  Once I down loaded the removal tool and ran it every thing was working fine.

regards
Nam

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
Once I down loaded the removal tool and ran it every thing was working fine.
Glad you've sorted it out... Norton lefts behind a lot of trash (files, folders, registry keys...).
Welcome to avast forums.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 03:58:49 PM »
<snip>
I just uninstalled Norton using the Uninstall Command.  Once I down loaded the removal tool and ran it every thing was working fine.

Yes, Norton can be a real pig to remove and gets in the way of other security software after it is supposedly uninstalled.

Being of a suspicious/untrusting nature I have to question why Norton have never resolved this issue, or is it by design as when a user experiences problems with their new AV, some might just go back to Norton spit.

Welcome to the forums.

rgettens

Internet Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 11:49:17 PM »
IE - When I view certain pages, my entire PC locks up.  When I restart it, I turn off Avast, try to go to that page, and can get there with no problems.  If I turn Avast back on and try to go to those sites (simple sites like Comcast, Verizon sites), it locks up.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 11:56:32 PM »
IE - When I view certain pages, my entire PC locks up.  When I restart it, I turn off Avast, try to go to that page, and can get there with no problems.  If I turn Avast back on and try to go to those sites (simple sites like Comcast, Verizon sites), it locks up.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Any other antivirus in the past in this computer? Norton?
Which firewall do you use? Any other security program?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 12:49:42 AM »

What is your firewall ?

Are these sites that you are logging on to, e.g. HTTP page, enter your logon details and it checks on an HTTPS (secure) page and if you pass validation are once more redirected to another HTTP page ?