Author Topic: Computer will not shut down.  (Read 15036 times)

robert08

Computer will not shut down.
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:51:55 PM »
Cheers from Australia!  Hi my name is robert and first of all I want to say that I love avast!  I got rid of the old clunky norton and it was the right decision to do so.  However, since installing avast 4.8, my computer some times will not shut down. I can't say for sure that this is a glitch with avast, all that I know is since I installed avast, this problem has surfaced.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I also have adaware, but I uninstalled/installed that again and it wasn't adaware. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Robert

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Computer will not shut down.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »
We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?
- In XP/Vista, is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?

About Norton, please:
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.
The best things in life are free.

robert08

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 12:21:34 AM »
Thanks for your reply,

I have windows xp
adaware,
windows firewall
I don't know what OS? means? (sorry)
there are no other security programs

robert08

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:24:11 AM »
also awhile back something happened and now I can not play dvds or cds, a box comes up saying insert disc or no disc in drive, and so on when I have a disc inserted, somehow it is not recognizing it.

robert08

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 12:26:33 AM »
oh OS, operatiing system, I have windows xp

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 12:35:15 AM »
Robert, did you follow Norton removal instructions I've posted before?
Try to focus your problem on the shutdown issue first...

robert08

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 01:54:47 AM »
Tech, to answer your question, no, I did not follow your directions about removing norton, because as I stated in my OP, I already have removed norton.

Also, the reason  that I mentioned the information about my dvd player and cd not playing, is because I figured that you could use all the information lately about the problems that I am having with my computer that maybe it is all tied in somehow.

I feel as if the tone in your post is a bit aggressive, I am a bit bewildered by this, so I will pass on any "help" here.

Thanks anyway, I will find help elsewhere. -Rob
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 09:10:21 AM by robert08 »

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »

Hi Robert -

You are new here and do not know Tech well. He is not aggressive but he is direct. Since you are new here, we also do not know you nor do we have any idea how you removed Norton. If you only removed Norton by using the Add/remove programs feature of Windows, this is not enough. If you removed Norton with the uninstaller included in the Norton program, this is also not enough. We have no way of knowing what you have or have not done unless we ask you and/or if you provide the information needed. You asked for help and in an attempt to help you, Tech asked for more information and what he asked for are the same basic questions most of us ask for in order understand the basis of a problem and to find out what other programs/software that could possibly be interferring with the correct operation of avast or your computer. Other than the OS of your computer, you supplied nothing more of the information he required in order to start helping you. 

You did supply information about a recent dvd/cd drive problem. It would be highly unlikely that this problem is related to the problem of your computer not shutting down. Not impossible, mind you, but just not likely to be a related problem.

With the attitude you have had here, you are "shooting yourself in the foot" when looking for help. And, if the same attirude is taken to another forum (where the helpers might not be as forgiving as we are), the help you get is not likely to be a nice experience for you.

I hope you understand what I mean and that you will get help for your computer problem. Where ever you get the help from, please be sure to give the proper information and follow the advice given even if it sounds redundant to you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 02:16:45 PM »
I feel as if the tone in your post is a bit aggressive, I am a bit bewildered by this, so I will pass on any "help" here.
::) ::)

Thanks anyway, I will find help elsewhere. -Rob
It's a pity... you also removed your account...

bunk

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 06:26:51 PM »
It's pretty amazing that some people think that you can just reach thru the monitor and cure all their ills. I see this all the time in multiple forums  :-\

You guys try pretty hard here, and as you say, with limited knowledge of the persons particulars, it's next to impossible to solve their problems.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 09:41:27 PM »
Tech, to answer your question, no, I did not follow your directions about removing norton, because as I stated in my OP, I already have removed norton.

The very reason we make a big deal of it is that Norton is a real pig to get rid of even after a normal add remove programs uninstall. That is why we suggest the uninstall tool, which if nothing else eliminates it as a possible cause, if you had run it then all you had to do was say.

Also, the reason  that I mentioned the information about my dvd player and cd not playing, is because I figured that you could use all the information lately about the problems that I am having with my computer that maybe it is all tied in somehow.
 <snip>

The symptoms you mention (including the cd/dvd) could be a consequence of some remnants, but now I guess we will never know.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 10:42:54 PM »
The very reason we make a big deal of it is that Norton is a real pig to get rid of even after a normal add remove programs uninstall. That is why we suggest the uninstall tool, which if nothing else eliminates it as a possible cause, if you had run it then all you had to do was say.
Thanks David. You've wrote what I was lazy to do ;)
Anyway, seems waste of time now, unfortunately.

bunk

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 10:47:37 PM »
Well, David.......

I recover a lot of of old HP computers for folks, With that said, i'm hip to norton removal, but you know what brother ??? I dont think that even the removal tools accually get it all out of your system......... For these very reasons i've chosen to install Win XP in my PCs.

This way HP / Sony / Dell and all the others dont decide for me what accaully goes into my computers

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 11:42:24 PM »
Even the removal tool isn't perfect as many acknowledge, but it does seem to get rid of the major conflict issues where low level drivers have still got their hooks into the system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 05:46:27 AM »

You guys try pretty hard here, and as you say, with limited knowledge of the persons particulars, it's next to impossible to solve their problems.
You should try the AVG forum. ::)

Its heaven here compared to there and one of the reasons why I'm using Avast.