Author Topic: Should I get a Firewall?  (Read 20597 times)

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Should I get a Firewall?
« on: September 12, 2008, 03:10:19 PM »

hi all,

I've been using avast for almost a year and I've been very happy with the service provided. As my subject points out I am pondering if I should install a Fire Wall.

Computer Specs: Pentium IV with HT (3.2GHz), 2GB RAM (2 one GB RAM memory sticks), Running under Vista Home Basic with SP1.

Problem: Just got intermediate Internet (moved up from dial-up) and am now permanently connected to the net.

Details: I know Vista has its own fire wall but can I rely on it? So far I had no viruses and no problems, but that is due mostly to Avast. I did have some virus detection when surfing the net but these were blocked by AVAST before they even downloaded on my Computer. The Scanner is set to max and I feel comfortable with what I have so far. My issue is that since I don't know everything I would like to find out if there is a free, and reliable Fire Wall that runs on Vista and complements Avast. (or is Avast behaving like a Fire WALL as well as an anti virus)

Thank you
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Should I get a Firewall?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
You can rely on Vista firewall.

You can configure it to outbound protection:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security

While providing complete inbound AND outbound protection, by default, the Vista firewall does not contain any rules for controlling of outbound traffic. That is, every program is allowed to go out.

Configure Vista Firewall to support outbound packet filtering: http://searchwindowssecurity.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid45_gci1247138,00.html

Or use Vista Firewall Control 32-bit: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Firewall_Control_32-bit_d5578.html

You can want to install a more intuitive firewall, then you can try Comodo, OnlineArmor (beta for Vista) or PCTools.
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:25:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply Tech.

One thing though. does the Vista firewall, as is, still provides a good enough protection... I'd really hate to have to change settings in my network especially when I have no clue how it works.

Thanks agian
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 09:32:05 PM »
The Vista firewall has outbound protection disabled by default, so I would say as is, no it isn't good enough. If you enable the outbound protection, it is rules based and you have to create the rules, not easy, this is Why he suggests the Vista Firewall Control to make that task easier.

Or there are the other third party firewalls he mentions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:47:38 PM »
Hi David R.

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious though if I should trust freeware like Vista Firewall Control. The other option is tempting but I'm always skeptical about these things. do yo know anything about Comodo? If you have other examples I am more than interested. Thank you again.

Cheers
Computer Systems:

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:51:41 PM »
At some point you have to trust something, and we wouldn't recommend software that was 'untrustworthy.'

I have never used Comodo firewall as I'm very happy with my own Paid option Outpost Firewall Pro 2009, but there are many forum members using it as are there for PC Tools firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 10:08:14 PM »
Good point,

It seems like Comodo is a bit like Avast so it's probably my most likely choice ... I'll ponder a while before installing anything... Can any one who uses Vista Home Basic SP1 and avast as an retrovirus confirm if they had issues or problems with Comodo... Please

Thanks

Computer Systems:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 10:45:04 PM »
Can any one who uses Vista Home Basic SP1 and avast as an retrovirus confirm if they had issues or problems with Comodo... Please
Last two days I've tried twice to install Comodo in my Vista Business SP1 32 bits... both times I couldn't even boot :'(
I need to boot in Safe Mode and uninstall Comodo... It's not the first tentative (and I've done twice)... maybe later...
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 10:52:23 PM »
hmh, thanks for the reply tech.

I keep reading similar claims on CNET's download.com from users. I looked at PcTools and it's almost the same thing as PcTools (for Vista Users anyway). I tend to blame Vista but then again I never thought I'd have so many issues with this System. Does any one have some suggestion concerning which Firewalls are running well on Vista (and are free).

Thanks again
Computer Systems:

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »
I recommend ZoneAlarm Free. :) 8)

Don't forget WinPatrol and Opera. ;) They are free and work great with avast!. :)

ardvark

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »
hmh, thanks for the reply tech.

I keep reading similar claims on CNET's download.com from users. I looked at PcTools and it's almost the same thing as PcTools (for Vista Users anyway). I tend to blame Vista but then again I never thought I'd have so many issues with this System. Does any one have some suggestion concerning which Firewalls are running well on Vista (and are free).

Thanks again

Hi...

I think at least some of this has to do with software writers and manufacturers scrambling to include Vista and having to iron out the bugs as they go along. We went through a bit of this with XP (when it came out,) too.

Best Regards...

Faizfast6

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 12:58:44 AM »
Umm, Comodo?

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 01:40:02 AM »
I use PCTools Firewall Plus on all my systems including Vista.
It's free and I haven't had any problems or complaints.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 04:26:10 AM »
Thank you all for the replies.
Faizfast6  you mention Comodo but as I mentioned it gets bad reviews from users on Cnet.
http://www.download.com/Comodo-Firewall-Pro/3000-10435_4-10460704.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10849947

bob3160 recommend PCTools Firewall Plus. I'm inclined to believe that it is a good option and the reviews are semi positive on cnet.
http://www.download.com/PC-Tools-Firewall-Plus-Free-Edition/9241-10435_4-10625321.html?messageID=10338913&tag=uo;uo

Although they seem to go to extremes. Again thank you all for the support.

Conclusion: While I am not certain of this I believe that I'll wait a bit before choosing to install any fire wall. Based on my own experience as a home user, utilizing the native Vista Fire Wall along side Avast I have had no apparent issues or problems. The Vista Fire Wall prevents most of the threats out there and avast seems to monitor all activities on my computer with the Standard Shield so I know I'm not at a high risk of infection.

Note: if any one disagrees, please tell me so. I'll mark the thread as solved in 24-48 Hours
Computer Systems:

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 05:30:59 AM »
Umm, Comodo?
It comes with Ask toollbar that is automatically installed without permission and is notorious in its false positive detection of applications upon installation.