Author Topic: Should I get a Firewall?  (Read 20592 times)

Offline rhuds13

• I'm a llama!
Re: Should I get a Firewall?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 09:08:10 PM »
You could also try Webroot firewall found here:  http://www.webroot.com.au/En_AU/consumer-products-desktopfirewall.html

Faizfast6

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 12:17:43 PM »
Now I use Webroot, very light compared to COMODO.

About the Ask Toolbar in COMODO, it didn't install it in my computer.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »
Toolbar is optional in comodo and can be unchecked during installation.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Faizfast6

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »
Yeah but I don't see an option. It just installs COMODO but no toolbar.  ???

But I stick with Webroot for now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
You could also try Webroot firewall found here:  http://www.webroot.com.au/En_AU/consumer-products-desktopfirewall.html
Does anybody have experience with Webroot firewall on Vista?
Tried to install Comodo v3 in my Vista and can't boot... need to uninstall in Safe Mode.
Online Armor is a beta for Vista and limited to 30 days.
PCTools is not well categorized in tests, is own by Symantec...
Alwil firewall is in a very distant future...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »
Hi all,

I didn't expect to get a lot of replies to this so I'll leave the thread open for another week. hopefully There might be some firewall out there that works on vista and is free. Tech sums up quite well the various options that are out there for Vista users. I read a few reviews (from users) on CNET and one would have to ask: Is it more likely to have the computer crash because of a virus or because of the Firewall?
I realize that this does not really contribute to the main subject but I all but given up on getting a Firewall.

Cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 04:48:29 PM »
Is it more likely to have the computer crash because of a virus or because of the Firewall?
Windows firewall protects inbound connections. I need an antivirus working...

Faizfast6

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 12:15:44 AM »
Does anybody have experience with Webroot firewall on Vista?
Tried to install Comodo v3 in my Vista and can't boot... need to uninstall in Safe Mode.
Online Armor is a beta for Vista and limited to 30 days.
PCTools is not well categorized in tests, is own by Symantec...
Alwil firewall is in a very distant future...
I'm not using Vista but from Webroot's page on the firewall, it works with both 32-bit and 64-bit version but I'm not too sure.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 01:01:37 AM »
I'm not using Vista but from Webroot's page on the firewall, it works with both 32-bit and 64-bit version but I'm not too sure.
I'll try it... let's see.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 03:47:18 AM »
I'll try it... let's see.
Nightmare... 3 BSODS, can't uninstall in SafeMode, have to disable drivers/services, boot and uninstall. NO thanks...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »
Hi Tech.

I hope you didn't loose any important data. This is one of the reasons I don't really like to tweak around with my computer and "try" different security programs. Think twice and act once. Then again if no one tries then no one knows... this is a conundrum. ;D
Oh well I do hope that there is a firewall out there that won't crash Vista.

On a different note: I have a question concerning the Network Shield. I have DSL internet and I'm connected to the external Modem/Rooter via a network cable. There aren't any other computers connected to the modem/rooter. When I open the computer, the connection is already up and everything is working great. I didn't have to install or setup anything. Vista Auto-detected the connection via it's network. My issue is that when I look at the Network Scanner (by double clicking on the blue A icon in the taskbar) I see the scan count as 0. I use the internet and everything and still, nothing. The Web Scanner is working but only when I'm browsing. If I shut down the browser I still get some minuscule activity on the network (I use view connection status and look at the upload and download values... fast way of making sure I don't exceed my bandwidth) in the order of 5-10 Kb once in a while (like every minute). I did countless scans so I know it's not a virus. But I am not sure what this could mean. That is why I started this thread concerning Firewalls in the first place. Can any one help me out here?
Any info is much appreciated.

Cheers

P.S.
Thank you all for posting solutions and suggestions.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »
I hope you didn't loose any important data.
No, I didn't lose.

I have a question concerning the Network Shield. I have DSL internet and I'm connected to the external Modem/Rooter via a network cable. There aren't any other computers connected to the modem/rooter. When I open the computer, the connection is already up and everything is working great. I didn't have to install or setup anything. Vista Auto-detected the connection via it's network. My issue is that when I look at the Network Scanner (by double clicking on the blue A icon in the taskbar) I see the scan count as 0. I use the internet and everything and still, nothing. The Web Scanner is working but only when I'm browsing. If I shut down the browser I still get some minuscule activity on the network (I use view connection status and look at the upload and download values... fast way of making sure I don't exceed my bandwidth) in the order of 5-10 Kb once in a while (like every minute). I did countless scans so I know it's not a virus. But I am not sure what this could mean. That is why I started this thread concerning Firewalls in the first place. Can any one help me out here?
If you're using Vista Firewall, it will block the attacks before NetShield. NetShield is just a second layer of protection.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 08:10:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply Tech.

So if I get this right, Vista Firewall blocks most or rather all (given that the Network scanner count is always 0, even after considerable web browsing) transfers over that network, which are not authorized (are not part of an exemption rule).
But this leaves the question of why do I see a systematic upload of 5-10 Kb? Is this Vista sending signals to the modem/router?

Thanks again
Computer Systems:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 11:15:50 PM »
But this leaves the question of why do I see a systematic upload of 5-10 Kb? Is this Vista sending signals to the modem/router?
Hmmm... I'm not an expert on networking... Does TCPView tool look to this connections?

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 12:00:05 AM »
Hi Tech,

What do you understand by TCPView tool.?
Computer Systems: