Author Topic: Refresh License key?  (Read 11515 times)

sanctuaryforever

Refresh License key?
« on: September 12, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
It may sound stupid but when is the ideal time to renew your license key for Avast home edition: just before it expires or after it expires?

When a new license key is entered does it remember the exact date you re-registered or does it set it as the beginning of the current month or from the start of next month?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Refresh License key?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »
I believe the new date is taken from the 1st day of the next month.

In either case it is pretty immaterial as it doesn't make sense to wait to the last day of the existing period. Check about avast and I think that will answer your question if you can recall exactly when you installed it.

My last registration email, you could check yours too, was received on the 1st August 2007 and my expiry date is 01 November 2008, so you get 14 months from the start of the next month from 'when you the registration email was sent.' In my case that worked out at almost 15 months.

So if you renew in the last month of your current registration everything will be as it should, being the Home free version you aren't losing anything, you get 14 months starting from the 1st of the next month.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »
thankyou for your answer, is there anything else I should know that I havent brought up here and also it may benefit people if this info was stickied somewhere (unless it already is)

ps if for example I was on holiday and it expired would I still be able to reactivate it without any problems?

joette

Re: Refresh License key? Will I need a new License Key if my hard drive crashed
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:20:44 PM »
Will I need a new License Key if my hard drive crashed?

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:24:36 PM »
I have just renewed until december 09, in about avast what should be the details under registration key section?

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Refresh License key? Will I need a new License Key if my hard drive crashed
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »

No, use the one you have, if you have written it down or saved it somewhere, or use the link "I'm a registered user, but I lost my registration key"

http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:51:34 PM »

Provided you have a saved copy of the registration email with your number somewhere then no you wouldn't.

So now is time to plan for eventualities and back-up files, registration info, etc. if you don't want to lose it back it up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:38:53 PM »
I know this is strange but since inputting the new license key the about avast doesn't quite look the same

what I mean is, shouldnt there be 3 entries under registration key instead of two?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:47:45 PM »
I would imagine that they have removed the Program Expires, Never: or words to that effect as it could be confusing when underneath that there is an Expiration date.

There is only two entries in mine.

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »
I would imagine that they have removed the Program Expires, Never: or words to that effect as it could be confusing when underneath that there is an Expiration date.

There is only two entries in mine.

yes "program expires" thats what I thought should have been there, it just struck me something was missing thats all.

hilsbilly

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »
I had a trial version and reregistered. The avast icon will not show up so I can't enter my new confirmation code. I tried saving the download and running it but no icon?

Help I am a self professed idiot and ain't too proud to beg.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 05:18:22 PM »
I had a trial version and reregistered. The avast icon will not show up so I can't enter my new confirmation code. I tried saving the download and running it but no icon?

Help I am a self professed idiot and ain't too proud to beg.
The trial version expires in 60 days. Maybe you should start from the scratch and register the Home version again.
Are you logged as an administrator?
The best things in life are free.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:29:14 AM »
My registration expires on the 1st February 2009.

What would happen if I re-registered before this date?

Am I right that when I need to get a new key for the free home edition that I visit this page below

http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php

and click on I'm a registered user and my registration key has expired, I need a new one

Then I fill this form in

http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php#register-form

Then I click on Register.

Is this all I need to do before my registration key runs out as I am a registered user anyway.

Like I say it runs out start of Febuary next year, so I suppose it wont let you register for a new key until nearer the time, is this right?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:32:09 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »
You can register at any time you want, but if you don't use the option you mentioned "I'm a registered user and my registration key has expired, I need a new one" and you use the same email address as before, then it will send you a copy of your existing key.

So use a different email address and it doesn't matter what registration option you select 1, 2 or 3 you will get a new different key, valid from that point 14 months from the 1st day if the next month.

Use the "I'm a registered user and my registration key has expired, I need a new one" option and regardless of email you will get a new key. It doesn't matter when your existing key expires as this isn't even considered for this option. But you don't even need to go down this path until January 2009 and avast would start to remind you 3 weeks before (I believe).

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 01:04:54 PM »
You can register at any time you want, but if you don't use the option you mentioned "I'm a registered user and my registration key has expired, I need a new one" and you use the same email address as before, then it will send you a copy of your existing key.

So use a different email address and it doesn't matter what registration option you select 1, 2 or 3 you will get a new different key, valid from that point 14 months from the 1st day if the next month.

Use the "I'm a registered user and my registration key has expired, I need a new one" option and regardless of email you will get a new key. It doesn't matter when your existing key expires as this isn't even considered for this option. But you don't even need to go down this path until January 2009 and avast would start to remind you 3 weeks before (I believe).

Have I got this right,

So if I want to use the same email address as before I would therefore have to wait till the key has expired?

But if I want to get a new key just now I would have to use a different email address?

I am confused when you say regardless of email you will get a new key, but then you say use a different email address.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:07:38 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1