Author Topic: Cannot update and uninstall..  (Read 10952 times)

zakix

Cannot update and uninstall..
« on: September 12, 2008, 08:33:41 PM »
I try to update this avast, but nothing happen. so, i try to uninstall/reinstall.. but i have got this error;
::Setup selfextract - An error 3 (00000003) has occured. Last performed operation was: spawning::
somebody please help me..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot update and uninstall..
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »
It looks like your installation was corrupted.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Download the latest version of avast if you didn't save the one you installed with, may be worth downloading again from the avast site http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that [appears so] start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it will be necessary to run this from safe mode (see below), once complete reboot into normal mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.

Booting into safe mode, keep clicking away at the F8 key whilst windows boots, also see http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zakix

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »
thanks a lot.... it work...  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 11:50:20 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bluntpistol

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 03:23:01 AM »
Hi DavidR

I'm wondering if you could help. My problem first started when my Windows Security Alert informed me that my avast! AV programme was out of date. I tried to do an update of the version but it failed, so I downloaded the latest installer but received the same error message as zakix.

I saw this thread and I downloaded avast! Uninstall Utility which was unable to run properly, so I tried running my OS in Safe Mode, which refused to boot!

I'm extremely worried because all the problems make it seem like I'm being invaded by a virus affecting system32. I cannot boot in safe mode, cannot use avast! Uninstall Utility or perform an update.

I also read elsewhere that I have to check if my system date and time and to set it correctly, but there is nothing wrong with it. I really need some advice.

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »
Whilst some viruses will try to disable the ability to boot into safe mode this can be rectified, see below.

What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 4.7.1074 and 071202-0 (see about avast!) ?

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

How to restore Safe Boot.
The malware may have deleted the SafeBoot registry keys.
Here are some options to restore them:

http://didierstevens.wordpress.com/2006/06/26/restoring-safeboot/
http://didierstevens.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/restoring-safe-mode-with-a-reg-file/
Also see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26554.msg216924#msg216924

bluntpistol

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »
Hi DavidR

I have all the avast! processes running in task manager.

I took your recommendations and managed to restore my safe boot mode and I uninstalled avast! using the uninstall utility.

I have managed to install the latest avast! programme and I still received the error message from Windows Security Alert saying that avast! is out of date. Thankfully avast! managed to update itself after the reinstallation and the problem has hence been solved.

Many thanks for your help!

wyrmrider

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 05:58:46 PM »
Great result blunt
welcome to the forum

I'd suggest going to secunia and running secunia software inspector and get everything updated
especially java and flash - well all the MS security advisories

if java is out of date run JAVARA (use google to find) to remove ALL old Java- the are still vulnerable

what Firewall?
what Browser?

any real time anti malware app?
(Windows defender, spybot t-timer etc??)

another suggestion would be to open avast and schedule a boot time scan

If IE do you have Javacool Spywareblaster installed?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 08:20:32 PM »
<snip>
I have managed to install the latest avast! programme and I still received the error message from Windows Security Alert saying that avast! is out of date. Thankfully avast! managed to update itself after the reinstallation and the problem has hence been solved.

Many thanks for your help!

No problem, glad I could help.

If even after you updated avast the Windows Security Center (WSC), it looks like your problem is with the WSC, not an uncommon problem.

If that is the case try this:
WSC doesn't detect avast! - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/help/wmi.mspx#EQKAC
Windows XP SP2 or SP3 (you didn't say what OS you are using), Start, Run, type cmd and click OK from the command prompt type 'rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup' without the quotes and enter.

Welcome to the forums.