Author Topic: How do I "Unpause"  (Read 6786 times)

chgo29

How do I "Unpause"
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:06:50 PM »
I'm running Avast 4.8 Home. I'm a new user.  I can't figure out how to "unpause".  I "paused" OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE because I was having trouble with Email.  At least I "think" I paused it.  When I pull up the"PROVIDER", the "pause" button in "OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE " is "greyed" out.
All the other provider windows have the "pause" button available - not greyed out.  And, the OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE window says at the top "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start".  All the other windows say the provider is running.  So, all that makes me think the OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE provider has indeed been "paused" by me.  But, there is nothing  that says it's been paused, and no way indicated on how to "unpause" it.  Sure would appreciate some help.  And a side note, What does the "EXCHANGE"refer to?  Thanks for any help - Cliff

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I "Unpause"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
First the Outlook/Exchange provider is off by default unless you have MS Outlook (not express) installed, see image extract from avast help file.

So do you have MS Outlook installed ?

Probably not as the "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start" messages means MS Outlook hasn't started and that is what the provider is waiting for to start.

What is your email program ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chgo29

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »
Thanks DavidR - I'm using Outlook Express.  So, does that mean that the Avast program does not scan incoming and outgoing mail if you are using Outlook Express?  Cliff

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:33:21 PM »
Thanks DavidR - I'm using Outlook Express.  So, does that mean that the Avast program does not scan incoming and outgoing mail if you are using Outlook Express?  Cliff

The Internet Mail provider in avast! is for Outlook Express (and other mail program, like Thunderbird), and your mail is scanned by that provider.

The provider "Outlook/Exchange" is for MS Outlook, so if you don't using MS Outlook, the Outlook/Exchange provider is not started (off by default as DavidR said)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

chgo29

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »
Hey Bluesman - Thanks for your reply.  I'm embarrassed.  I thought there wasn't a provider window for Internet Mail (Outlook Express) but I just discovered the scroll bar on the different provider listings.  I scrolled down and there it was.  Thanks

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 07:31:59 PM »
Because you were getting the "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start" message ensure that you Terminate the Outlook/Exchange provider, answer Yes to the persist the changes question. This way it won't start the next time you boot.

I too use OE and avast's Internet Mail provider works fine with it.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chgo29

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:11:09 PM »
OK - Thanks DavidR.  I will do that.  Over and Out - Cliff

hines232

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:52:06 PM »
DavidR, who is avast internet mail provider, May need it soon. (dumb question i no) but am lost. Thanks. ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:44:48 PM »
It is the avast email scanner, it isn't an email program, the various scanners in avast are commonly called providers and also Shields.

hines232

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:37:39 AM »
Thank You.