Author Topic: [SOLVED] On-Access scanner can't be activated!  (Read 6334 times)

RevX

[SOLVED] On-Access scanner can't be activated!
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:19:15 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to avast! and switched my WindowsME system from Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2001 (:o)
to avast! home 4.8.1229. I chose the default installation, got my license key, updated to/with lastest
virus defs, ran a full scan on my harddisk - all working fine so far with the on-demand part.

But it seems like the on-access part is not working. The 'a' toolbar icon is there (with a tiny disabled(?)
sign) and says that there are 6 providers in total but none active.  :(
If I select Start it doesn't do/say anything. If I start one of the protection providers separately,
I get a window that says something like this (translating from German):
'The called resident task couldn't be found. Operation couldn't be finished.'
Rebooting the system didn't help. The following avast! programs are loaded into memory:
ashwebsv.exe
ashmaisv.exe
ashserv.exe

I would like to keep avast as my AV program, but without a working on-access protection I'll
look for alternatives. So, has anyone any ideas on how to solve my problem?! Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:31:28 PM by RevX »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: On-Access scanner can't be activated! :-(
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:59:24 PM »
The problem is most likely your previous AV which can be a pig to remove.

How did you get rid of it ?

Select the relevant link.
The problem might be having such an old version of Norton I din't know if any of the tools below would cover it.
The NAV 2003 removal tool can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RevX

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »
Well, I've removed the related 'program calls' from the start-up process via 'msconfig' (which lists
the loaded modules/applications). I haven't removed it the 'official way' via uninstall because
I wanted to have it as a backup in case avast! wouldn't work for me the way I need it (ironically, this
seems to be the case now). I'm pretty sure there's nothing left at start-up that is related to
NAV2001. How do you think would it affect avast! when it's not loaded into memory?

Before I try uninstallation of NAV2001 (also with the tool you've linked up) I would like to wait
for some more feedback in here (if there will be some?!). So far, thanks for your reply!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 10:03:55 PM »
The short answer is you have to uninstall Norton, disabling simply isn't enough. you only ned to do a forum search for Norton to see the problems, even when it is uninstalled as it frequently leaves c*** behind. There really in no point in waiting for more feedback the forums are littered with topics about the dross left behind by Norton and the chaos it causes.

Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable. You are also experiencing the problems associated with having two resident AVs installed.

The real problems are associated with low level device drivers in the registry and these aren't in the msconfig either.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 10:08:46 PM »
Rev it up
Norton 2001 would be way out of date program wise even if they have the detections up to date it would not know wht to do with them
ps I'm on 98s3 and I have NSW installed- so not to worry

run the norton uninstaller
then go here
http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallantivir.shtml
and start on this line

What if Windows Security Center Shows AntiVir or other muliple Antivirus products installed
follow the link
then run the Antivir Antivirus Rec Cleaner - it will also workwith Norton
If spybot or something complains about REGCLEAN they are confusing AVIRA's version with something else
not to worry
just do not check any avast entries
does not hurt to refresh your avast install when done

Now
the problem is nto that norton does not run
it's that it sits on some needed registry entry points and conflicts big time with any other AV

RevX

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 11:28:36 PM »
Yippie! ;D It works! 8)
I've uninstalled my NAV2001 the usual software uninstallation way (incredible how much cr@p is left
over in the system) and then ran the Norton Removal Tool, retrieved from this page:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2007080716282639?Open&docid=2005033108162039&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid
Actually, I ran it twice, and also checked NAV leftovers manually.
I then tried to 'Repair' avast! but to no good. I finally uninstalled it and reinstalled it,
and - voila! - the found resident providers are also active now.

As a side-note: After disabling NAV to load up and later on after uninstalling it,
the number of program blue screens was drastically reduced and even WLAN difficulties I had
(and of which I thought were part of WindowsME's implementation) are gone now!!! Man, I'm happy.
(Don't ask me what I think of Symantec/NAV now... :P)

Thank you guys for support and your valuable tips! Thanks a lot!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: [SOLVED] On-Access scanner can't be activated!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 12:29:23 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

I don't know why you are so surprised, we told you it would work ;D ;D

Always best to reinstall avast as the installation was most certainly compromised by Norton still being on the system. The main thing is your system is running fine now and probably much faster too.

Welcome to the forums.

wyrmrider

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 01:32:30 AM »
Great
Avast Forums now has a new "uninstall Norton" Expert :)
welcome to the forums

now get safe stay safe
we have several 98/SE users here if you need any other anti scumware advice
I do like a preemptive program
I just reinstalled spybot t-timer and new version seems to work fine with 98SE
I also have spywareblaster, spybot immunize, MVPS Hosts

what works for you?

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 01:38:20 AM »
Yippie! ;D It works! 8)
I've uninstalled my NAV2001 the usual software uninstallation way (incredible how much cr@p is left
over in the system) and then ran the Norton Removal Tool, retrieved from this page:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2007080716282639?Open&docid=2005033108162039&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid
Actually, I ran it twice, and also checked NAV leftovers manually.
I then tried to 'Repair' avast! but to no good. I finally uninstalled it and reinstalled it,
and - voila! - the found resident providers are also active now.

As a side-note: After disabling NAV to load up and later on after uninstalling it,
the number of program blue screens was drastically reduced and even WLAN difficulties I had
(and of which I thought were part of WindowsME's implementation) are gone now!!! Man, I'm happy.
(Don't ask me what I think of Symantec/NAV now... :P)

Thank you guys for support and your valuable tips! Thanks a lot!
Come watch the fireworks:
http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17422

RevX

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »
wyrmrider, DavidR, thanks for the welcome and your program tips!!!

Besides avast! home and the Sygate Personal Firewall, I only have Winpatrol running,
which already saved me several times.

I'll have a closer look at wyrmrider's recommended programs. And I didn't expect that
there's still a pre-WinXP community. ;D Meanwhile, over the years of usage, I might
claim to be a WindowsME master. (Well, until now not everything was running smooth
as it might have been, but it was working and I always found a way to fix broken stuff.)
If I can help out in some way, just let me know.

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:33:33 PM »
"RevX' there are more WindowsMe users out there than you know...and I'm one of them!

Like you I've got Sygate (prior to Symantec taking it over) for a firewall and it plays nice with Avast!; something it didn't do with my previous anti-virus...