Author Topic: I uninstalled Avast  (Read 6653 times)

itisme

I uninstalled Avast
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
 ;D  :(

The uninstaller did a great job. Searching the registry and HD fir remnants returned very few results.  :D

The reason I did it was because it was screwing firefox. firefox would stop loading pages after a few minutes of surfing. After trying all else, I disabled Avast and the issue was gone. My computer has also become much quicker and snappier. Now I have downloaded Avira ( with which I also had some issues, that was why I switched to Avast) and before installing it I decided to ask the Avast geeks and experts if they can change my mind.  :-\

Cheers

ardvark

Re: I uninstalled Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 11:44:14 AM »
Hi...

What operating system are you running and what is your "make and model" of computer?

Best Regards...

itisme

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 11:54:33 AM »
Hi...

What operating system are you running and what is your "make and model" of computer?

Best Regards...

Hi,

xp pro with all updates
comp is a diy with core2 duo

itisme

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »
When I was typing the title of this post "I uninstalled Avast" I was expecting some smart guy to come and say "who gives a shit"  ;D

but I guess "no reply" means the same, just lacking smartness.  :D

take care

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Are you using Firefox 3 ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »
Which firewall do you use?
avast should mess nothing with Firefox...
Are you using ThreatFire? Any other security program?
The best things in life are free.

itisme

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »
Which firewall do you use?
avast should mess nothing with Firefox...
Are you using ThreatFire? Any other security program?

Thanks

Since a couple of weeks I have been using my routers firewall. Before that it was windows firewall (with same issues)

SpywareBlaster is installed and spybot with the realtime scanner ( I think it is called tea timer) disabled. ThreatFire? I don't even know what it is.

My Firefox version is 3.0
I was using the latest Avast free version.

I did try disabling Firefox plugins like firegesture and Noscript. They had nothing to do with it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 03:57:02 PM »
I bet your Firefox installation is somehow corrupted and not from avast.
I have problems with Firefox extensions a lot of times... the interaction between them make difficult to troubleshoot. Each computer has a different set of extensions installed ::)

ThreatFire (known by messing Firefox extensions) is a HIPS security program (http://www.threatfire.com/download/).

itisme

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »
I bet your Firefox installation is somehow corrupted and not from avast.
I have problems with Firefox extensions a lot of times... the interaction between them make difficult to troubleshoot. Each computer has a different set of extensions installed ::)

ThreatFire (known by messing Firefox extensions) is a HIPS security program (http://www.threatfire.com/download/).

Would you mind describing some of the problems you have with firefox extensions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 04:43:08 PM »
Would you mind describing some of the problems you have with firefox extensions?
Basically, installation and updates can't be performed. ThreatFire does not show a warning message, it just block *something* in the background. When uninstalled, the extensions are back. Common extensions like NoScript, All-in-one-sidebar, etc.

itisme

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 05:25:33 PM »
Basically, installation and updates can't be performed. ThreatFire does not show a warning message, it just block *something* in the background. When uninstalled, the extensions are back. Common extensions like NoScript, All-in-one-sidebar, etc.

All right
thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 03:56:37 AM »
All right
thanks
You're welcome. Is everything right now?