Author Topic: Is it possible to exclude files from scanning?  (Read 10735 times)

jowunger

Is it possible to exclude files from scanning?
« on: September 14, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »
Nice forum activity here  ;D

Thanks for the free avast which already helped me a looootttt!

One question I have:
Is it possible to exclude files when detected as virus?
There are so many false positive (programming kits, network security tools, which are not a virus/backdoor/malware...etc)
It gets anoying when avast pops up every minute. A friend of mine had already chosen another antivirus just because of that
but I would like to stay with avast. hmm btw: does the pro have an 'exclude on detect' option?

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Is it possible to exclude files from scanning?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »

Is it possible to exclude files

Welcome to the forums!  :)

Yes, you can exclude files in avast!

* Standard Shield -> Customize -> Advanced -> Add
* Right-click on the avast! ball in the tray area -> Program Settings -> Exclusions
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 03:20:32 PM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:20:44 PM »
You need to use the Exclusion lists:

Like Bluesman said, for the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:48:20 PM »
Well you could a) put all these tools in the one location, e.g. c:\tools_exclude and add that to the exclusions c:\tools_exclude\* to both lists so you don't constantly have to add individual files to the locations.

One issue with various tools is they can be used for good and evil and an AV has difficulty determining this so airs on the side of safety.

However, I feel you should also confirm the suspect file/tool detection is bad and send it to avast for analysis (this could help all avast users with the same tools, etc.). At worst it may be that the malware name is changed to better define what it is, e.g. [Tool] suffix to the detection and at best removal from the VPS signatures.

Check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary location (which you have excluded like the tools_exclude folder) first.

If it is indeed a false positive, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34950.msg293451#msg293451, how to report it to avast!, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jowunger

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:53:44 AM »
Thank you all for answering but none of your solution is workable for me. I need a exclude button when the popup comes -like all other antivirus company uses already use for over a decade.

The Antivirus works for me, not otherwise.

Thanks
Jow

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 06:56:47 AM »
The button is not there - the button will not be there.  I find it hard to believe that you are encountering so many truly false positives with your choices.

There are ways for you to exclude all these apparent false positives.

If the options available in avast are not to your liking you always have a choice of AV products - perhaps one that provides the "exclude" button would suit your needs more. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:58:39 AM by alanrf »

jowunger

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 07:01:36 AM »
I think it is not right to take the decision away from the user who owns the pc.

Its simply not right

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 07:04:53 AM »
The decision is not taken away from the owner of the PC.  What you dislike is the mechanism - which exists and has been explained to you.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 08:56:17 AM »

One question I have:
There are so many false positive (programming kits, network security tools, which are not a virus/backdoor/malware...etc)
It gets anoying when avast pops up every minute. A friend of mine had already chosen another antivirus just because of that
but I would like to stay with avast. hmm btw: does the pro have an 'exclude on detect' option?

While I do understand your problem, programming kits, network security tools, the items you are describing can be
recognized as viruses when active. I believe that most AV products would agree. I also believe that most AV products would tell you that if you are going to work in that realm, you may want to stick with a product that is just an "on demand" scanner, and not a full AV suite. Network security tools and programing kits are designed to insert code or instructions, which most AV scanners would recognize as potentially dangerous activity.
So, to avoid the constant and in your case unwanted threat notices, try to find a simple on demand scanner only.
You can also try disabling the !avast providers while working with those programs, but I am unclear as to whether or not
this will prevent the on access protection.
The trouble with exclusion buttons is after awhile you have excluded so much, that should a real threat come along, it could very well be ignored.

ardvark

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »
I need a exclude button when the popup comes -like all other antivirus company uses already use for over a decade.

Hi Jowunger...

It's not a bad idea and if you would like, you can request this at the "wishlist" (for the upcoming releases) here...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12640.0

Best Regards...

jowunger

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »

One question I have:

While I do understand your problem, programming kits, network security tools, the items you are describing can be
recognized as viruses when active. I believe that most AV products would agree. I also believe that most AV products would tell you that if you are going to work in that realm, you may want to stick with a product that is just an "on demand" scanner, and not a full AV suite. Network security tools and programing kits are designed to insert code or instructions, which most AV scanners would recognize as potentially dangerous activity.
So, to avoid the constant and in your case unwanted threat notices, try to find a simple on demand scanner only.
You can also try disabling the !avast providers while working with those programs, but I am unclear as to whether or not
this will prevent the on access protection.
The trouble with exclusion buttons is after awhile you have excluded so much, that should a real threat come along, it could very well be ignored.

well I not need a 'big brother' to watch over me or my PC. I am responsible for my stuff and not avast. User always have to choose as he wishes, an not as 'some software' wishes. I think the avast people are afraid that if they would use the 'exclude button' that people will say: Aaaahh I have a virus!!! avast not works!!! Else I see no reason for stubborn comments like: "We will never ever have a exlude button -which just shows how inflexible some people at avast are -instead of keeping options open.

For me that was it. I got to write my report and publish it. My work is done  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »
We (I use the term we loosely, I mean Alwil software the avast designers) aren't concerned with the experienced user who can look after themselves but the inexperienced user that having accidentally click the exclude this file is in trouble.

Alwil have decided to have the Exclusion of a file/files should be a concious deliberate act that takes more than a single click of a button.

@ ardvark
This has been suggested many times and the response from Alwil has always been basically what I have posted above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ardvark

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 07:07:16 AM »
We (I use the term we loosely, I mean Alwil software the avast designers) aren't concerned with the experienced user who can look after themselves but the inexperienced user that having accidentally click the exclude this file is in trouble.

Alwil have decided to have the Exclusion of a file/files should be a concious deliberate act that takes more than a single click of a button.

@ ardvark
This has been suggested many times and the response from Alwil has always been basically what I have posted above.

Hi David...

Ah, ok, thanks, that explains the continued exclusion of that feature. :)

Best Regards...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 03:18:32 PM »
You're welcome.