Author Topic: Another multiple pop account question  (Read 2758 times)

grettag

Another multiple pop account question
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:11:11 PM »
First, thanks to all the volunteers and their help!

I searched the board on this topic, read through the advice, tried to implement, and still have problems setting-up for multiple pop accounts.

1) Using avast 4.8 home edition

2) Windows XP (home edition) sp3

3) Mail client Opera 9.51

4) I have three mail accounts accessed via pop3 trhough Opera.  Opera settings allow setting-up multiple accounts with specific ports, lolgin authentications, etc.

5) First attempt to set-up avast mail scanning protection by adding non-standard ports to the redirect list in mail scanner protection control.  This works with stmp - I can send messages OK.  However, Opera cannot retreive pop3 incoming messages.

6) Second attempt, as per avast Help, modified avast4.ini:

[MailScanner]
PopRedirectPort=110,995
SmtpRedirectPort=587,467
ImapRedirectPort=143
NntpRedirectPort=119
IgnoreAddress=
IgnoreLocalhost=1
AutoRedirect=1
StartPop=1
StartSmtp=1
StartImap=0
StartNntp=0
ShowTrayIcon=1

PopListen=:127.0.0.1:110
PopListen=:127.0.0.1:995

SmtpListen=127.0.0.1:587
SmtpListen=127.0.0.1:467

This still does not work.  Any assistance would be much appreciated - applogies for asking this to be addressed once again.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Another multiple pop account question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »
No AV, including avast, can scan mail delivered on a secured connection to a port (that is the entire point of the connection being secured).  It is necessary to manage the termination of the secure connection and then pass the mail to the scanner safely inside your system.  This is what happens in those AV programs that claim they allow the scanning of secured mail connections.

Attempting to force avast to scan secured ports is futile and will cause the connections to the secured ports to fail.

At present with avast you need to use a free third party program (STunnel) to manage the secure connections and then allow the mail to be scanned by avast.  avast reports that with the next major release (avast version 5) the function provided by STunnel to manage the secure connection will effectively be built into avast itself.

If you search for STunnel in the forum there is quite a lot of information to help you set it up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Another multiple pop account question
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:31:34 PM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security