Author Topic: High CPU from System/ashWebSv.exe. Has strange AshWebSv.ws log messages.  (Read 39093 times)

met00

Re: High CPU from System/ashWebSv.exe. Has strange AshWebSv.ws log messages.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 09:55:53 AM »
on September 20, 2008 I uploaded the dump file to the FTP site. Did anyone even try to see what it showed?

If this is a FF issue with the latest version of avast, the answer seems to be "stop using webshield", but that's just a kluge. The real answer may be hidden in the dump I sent, but since no one ever said if they grabbed it or looked at it, it seems we will never know.

That's too bad.  :-[

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 08:46:28 AM »
Hello Met,
sorry, we have indeed looked at the dump. WebShield cycles in the listen / accept code, with errors returned by WinSock. The reason why WinSock (or some other component) refuses to provide sockets for WebShield is beyond the dump.   :(

Lukas

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:18:10 AM by lukor »

met00

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 09:47:07 PM »
Thank you for letting me know that it was not a dump in vain.

Atron

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 02:02:48 PM »
right now, avast's ashwebsv.exe takes 62,590K and CPU 39-78

i stopped all proccesses and switched them again. but pc slows down , sites are didn't opened right away. only reboot will solve the problem.

YoKenny

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »
right now, avast's ashwebsv.exe takes 62,590K and CPU 39-78

i stopped all proccesses and switched them again. but pc slows down , sites are didn't opened right away. only reboot will solve the problem.
It is only using 12,140K currently with a Peak Mem Usage of 35,264K for me but then I do not use Firefox.

tinfoil

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
I'm having much the same problem with Avast! eating up tonnes of CPU time and making browsing in Firefox less than ideal. So far the only solution is a reboot. Not all that cool when I'm having to do this multiple times a week.

I demoed this product for a couple weeks and didn't see any real issue with this and thus purchased a bunch of licenses for the machines here at work.

All machines running XP current, of varying hardware specs. All running Firefox 3.0.x, and Internet Explorer has been banned from use as per corporate policy (my policy).

I need a resolution sharpish.

For what it's worth, I've reinstalled the software about 3 billion times (it feels) and the problem seems to be getting worse. This seems to be affecting FF a whole lot more than IE (I can't say I've heard complaints about it affecting IE, but the users know that they aren't to use IE for anything other than one specific task). Disabling the webshield wouldn't be an optimal solution as that was one of the reasons I went with Avast.

I will perform a dump of the process the next time it inevitably happens.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:10:59 PM by tinfoil »

met00

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »
At this point, we have shown a number of users are having the problem. We have shown the it is happening on XP platforms using FF We have shown that it is NOT intermittent

And now we know that it is not just us freebe's, but the same problem is showing up in the purchased product.

Now, I don't work at Avast, but I am a former CTO. If I was the Avast CTO I would get a few computers with configurations that matched those that have reported the problem and set them up to duplicate it. Then I would take a few of my top engineers and look at the changes that were made in the CVS to see what portions of the code that were changed could be generating the defect. This is what you do when you have a baseline that works, and then a release that doesn't. It's not rocket science, it's computer science and it's why we have change control systems. They allow us to see just what was changed to take a working system and make it a broken one.

What is not going to work, for our friend in Canada or for many others, is taking a head in the sand attitude that somehow the changes made to the code are the users fault, and that the failure is on our part.

No anger here, just a deep sense of frustration that it has been over two months and it appears that Avast is saying to us "Too bad, learn to live with it."  :-X

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 06:18:46 PM »
Does the latest beta (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=39392.0) behave better?

tinfoil

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
Can't say I've tried. I don't like running beta on production machines, especially ones that do real work.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2008, 03:47:38 AM »
Can't say I've tried. I don't like running beta on production machines, especially ones that do real work.
Which avast version are you using?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »
Doesn't really matter... I know the behavior of the beta has been changed slightly. Whether it helps - is unknown (as it's certainly not reproducible here)... so you'll see after the final release is out.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 11:38:18 AM by igor »

jrussell9

I'm running dd-wrt firmware on a Linksys WRT 300n v1.0 router as well as Firefox 3.0, Google Chrome, IE7 and Avast 4.8.1335.

I've been having problems with an excessive number of TCP connections being opened, which has been bringing the router down - around 2-2,500 at a time. I had atttributed this to P2P software - Torrents, but investigation with WallWatcher logging the router's activity showed TCP ports being opened continually.

Running SysInternals TCPCview on the pc which was causing the problem - an up-to-date XP SP3 box - showed the culprit to be Avast (Process: [System]:0, Local Address: 127.0.0.1:12080) cycling through every TCP port (Remote Address in TCPView) from 127.0.0.1:1000 - 4999 and opening connections.

The router is set to close unused TCP connections after 90 seconds, but sometimes that isn't fast enough.

Closing Firefox stopped the problem. I was also running Google Chrome and IE7. Stopping Chrome also appeared to reduce the problem; IE7 is still running with one tab. Stopping Avast (and leaving IE7) cut the number of TCP connections (mostly 127:0.0.1:12080 and State TIME_WAIT) by about 115 to 45 or so.

Running Avast with IE7 and a couple of tabs seems fine. I had a lot of tabs open in Chrome and Firefox.

YoKenny

I don't have a problem with high CPU from system on any of my systems but I have adequate RAM and enough CPU power to run IE8 with several tabs open. 

Looks like I have 6 open IE sessions on Vista and 6 on XP Pro but I have tweaked IE to use 10 sessions when needed. 

I don't use the P2P monitoring module as I don't need it nor any P2P application as they are the easiest way for an infection to slip in attached to a torrent file:

Read:
Perils of P2P File Sharing
http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/virus-trojan-spyware-help/305923-perils-p2p-file-sharing.html

I don't use Google Chrome nor Firefox as they use too many open connections to achieve speed plus I just don't like them.