Author Topic: Not all providers are running  (Read 2187 times)

jen147

Not all providers are running
« on: September 15, 2008, 06:19:04 PM »
Hi.

I have Win XP.  Comodo Firewall, Avast, Spybot S&D w/TeaTimer, Windows Defender, Spyware Guard & Spyware Blaster.  IE 7 & Outlook Express for email.

My questions are:

Sometimes when I boot up the comp in the mornings, not all the providers are running.  Most of the time they do (well except Outlook/Exchange never has but I understand that's for Outlook not OE).  So most of the time when the curser is placed over the spinning A it says, 7 Provider total, 6 running.  But sometimes it only says 4 running and it's always the Web Shield and Internet Mail that's not on, saying they are waiting for a Sub System to start.  For the Web Shield all I have to do it click Terminate then Start and it comes on.  But the Internet Mail will not come on that way.  I usually have to reboot my computer to get it on.  I'm not sure how useful this provider is, but I do know that when it's running, and I open outlook express, a little icon shows up scanning the email coming in, I like that, and it irks me that it's not working.

My theory is that at startup there's so many systems competing with loading and trying to update themselves that it's just a glitch with Avast, but that's just a thought.

What do you guys think?

wyrmrider

Re: Not all providers are running
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:07:13 PM »
I'd post on the Spybot forum and check and see if there are any conflicts with Windows Defender, Spybot and spywareguard
I would think that you do not need spywareguard AND Ttimer
but I ran both at the same time for years

back in the day some liked spywareguard more than T-timer but t-timer has been greatly improved and maintained
so some research is needed

you could also ask at the Javacool forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?s=412476c543b57f0f48d569d1882f8a0b&f=23

PepiMK and Javacool are two of the best
please report your findings

windows defender may be able to replace both but I have NOT seen any chart of overlapping functions of these fine products or with other free "real time anti malware procucts such as Spyware Terminator and Spyware Doctor free-
much less the pay for ones

Low WaterMark the Javacool site administrator writes
The reason for less frequent updates with SpywareGuard is that much of its detection abilities are heuristics in nature. (Basically this means it doesn't need a specific signature for every spyware it catches, simply an overall pattern or approach-used, which it can identify and then trigger off of.) So, SpywareGuard works for many of the newer versions of the same spyware installers even without adding "signatures" for them.

so it looks as if Spybot is definition based and SG  is heuristics-
anyone remember how Giant> Micro Soft anti spware> windows defender does it?

perhaps Suzi at Spywarewarrior could sort it out

javacool writes in the SG updates threae
Originally Posted by Javacool
It isn't a catch-all or an end-all (nothing is), but it's meant to be an effective layer. The choice, as always, is left up to the user. I just give them that option (for free)
"
see also
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12410033?#12411725

Spywareblaster and Spywareguard are aimed at IE
but can be valuable if IE is installed on a system even if another browser is primary
(and should not run very often)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:55:58 PM by wyrmrider »