Author Topic: Avast Recue CD and 64 bit Support  (Read 8540 times)

UserA789

Avast Recue CD and 64 bit Support
« on: February 29, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »
I recently purchased the Avast Rescue CD  ;D but was a bit dissapointed at some of its features (registry, etc.) that DO NOT work with 64 bit installations :'( .  Is this going to be fixed, and will PIAD users be able to download that version or will it just be done via update?

I dont have any systems that run 32 bit any longer.  Please make it so that users who are still in their support cycle can download it, via email links.  If my network is down or Im in a place without WiFi hotspots (which I would never use for security updates anyhow); it would be nice to have a full featured version available in hard copy format.

RegB

Re: Avast Recue CD and 64 bit Support
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:57:08 PM »
I have the same issues.
I am TRYING to get a refund from digital river, but they are referring me to avast for technical help.
I don't WANT or NEED any so called "Technical Help" it just doesn't perform as promised and I don't need anyone to show me how it MIGHT BE useful in ways that don't interest me, e.g. for 32 bit systems.

IF/WHEN it becomes useful on 64 bit systems I might pursue the problem of the very stale virus data file and the inability to connect to the web for a current file, i.e. the lack of ethernet and wireless drivers, but those issues are so far off that I would prefer a refund - then I can decide whether or not to purchase some other version later. 

I can't even get a current .vps file using a running system, the installed and running version of avast seems to use only .vpx , which the rescue disk can't/won't use.

Frustrating at best !!!

UserA789

Re: Avast Recue CD and 64 bit Support
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
I have the same issues.
I am TRYING to get a refund from digital river, but they are referring me to avast for technical help.
I don't WANT or NEED any so called "Technical Help" it just doesn't perform as promised and I don't need anyone to show me how it MIGHT BE useful in ways that don't interest me, e.g. for 32 bit systems.

IF/WHEN it becomes useful on 64 bit systems I might pursue the problem of the very stale virus data file and the inability to connect to the web for a current file, i.e. the lack of ethernet and wireless drivers, but those issues are so far off that I would prefer a refund - then I can decide whether or not to purchase some other version later. 

I can't even get a current .vps file using a running system, the installed and running version of avast seems to use only .vpx , which the rescue disk can't/won't use.

Frustrating at best !!!
Im hoping that in all the rush to bring out Avast7! dev's didn't put other products in the basement!!!  Id love to use an updated version that I dont have to connect to a network to update; as now days network hijacking is becoming the preferred method as Antivirus software is getting VERY good and the blind trust in *nux ::) !

The rescue disk makes AWESOME sense, but how many folks are still in x86 enviroments anymore... at least new users.  sure, I got some old machine I use for silliness thats just not of the 64bit age, but they fart dust out there parrelell ports  ;D !