Author Topic: Introducing: avast! BART CD 3.0 Beta  (Read 165049 times)

PCTek275

Re: Introducing: avast! BART CD 3.0 Beta
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 09:03:42 PM »
Hi,
I've just recently installed the AVAST BART CD 3.0 Beta tryout on a Windows Vista Ultimate platform. After the installation I used UltraISO and Nero 7 burning software to create an ISO Bart CD for bootup.  However, during the end of the burning process I receive a message of "Could not perform end of Disc-at-Once or "Burn failed at 10x or 48x".  Has anyone encountered such a problem on a Windows Vista platform?  If so, can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or if there is a solution to the problem.  Please advise.. ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 10:45:19 PM »
Are you using a CD-R or a CD-RW media?
The best things in life are free.

PCTek275

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 05:35:33 PM »
Yes!  I've tried several times of burning the ISO and still the error message shows up.  I'm using an Aptiva brand for CD's and a Memorex CD-RW.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »
Can you try a CD-R media?

ssummit

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 11:13:14 PM »
Any idea when the final (or next beta) version of B.A.R.T. 3 will be posted?

Zerg_84

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 06:09:11 AM »
Hello everybody I would like to see from the avast bart cd manager to create an installation on the hard drive and when you start the computer can choose to boot from the operating system or the environment avast. Something like Norton Ghost 14.
I think it would be interesting, also some software to recover deleted files.
happy year. ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 02:35:28 PM »
Hello everybody I would like to see from the avast bart cd manager to create an installation on the hard drive and when you start the computer can choose to boot from the operating system or the environment avast. Something like Norton Ghost 14.
I think it would be interesting, also some software to recover deleted files.
happy year. ;)
It would be a good feature indeed.

mpcomputers

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »
hi guys

downloaded and tried the nwe version and it looks nice :)

only one question  though

the old version supported using on machines with 256 ram and less (we have had it running on 128 before (slow but usable)

now it seems that it wont run on machines with less than 320 mb ram, this is a bit of a problem as a lot of older machines that we have through the workshop only have 256 ram and to find that we need to install temporary ram to ca pc to clean it is a bit daft

any way to have a compatability mode built in that would support the user of 256 ram to work it.  dont get me wrong this bit of kit is a god send and i erally dont mind if it takes a little longer to do its work but the idea that i have to put in extra ram to a machine for the sake of an extra 128 seems a little daft.

any ideas on a workaround or are we stuck with a 320 mb minimun?

keep up the good work guys

MPComputers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 12:54:18 PM »
I'm not from Alwil and will say the obvious... but maybe things are getting a little bit complicated nowadays: the virus database is increasing day by day, the necessary drivers for compatibility and usability, etc., even the operational system that you can run at that low available RAM are getting out of support...
I think this is the way things are going, we can't stop using more RAM, although we should wish it.

mpcomputers

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 04:02:31 PM »
hi mate
cheers for the reply, i kinda guessed that this was the way it was going to be

it is just that around 30% of all our machines that we service are are only on or around 256 ram ( sucks i know, but we work in one of the most deprived areas in the uk and higher end pcs are not the norm)

does anyone know if you can have version 2 AND the version 3 beta installed on the same machine and if so how this would affect our licence?

cheers in advance

MPComputers

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 06:25:27 PM »
The principal problem here is that BART 3.0 is based on the Vista kernel, while BART 2.0 is based on XP.
This speaks for itself (with respect to RAM usage). :)

Now, of course, we were thinking of ways to maintain compatibility with older systems (with low RAM). One possibility would be to release BART 3.0 but still keep offering 2.0 (as an option). I can't say this would make me too happy (maintaining two products instead of one), but it would probably be a way.

Thanks
Vlk

PS. maybe BART 4.0 will be based on W7-kernel, and will run OK even with systems with 256MB RAM... ;) :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Gisabun

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »
Well, I might think that as long as the company supports Win XP in their products, BART should support Win XP. So if BART 3 can't handle Win XP correctly, BART 2 should be available. [IMuHO]

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 06:39:46 PM »
I'm not sure I understand.

BART 3.0 (even if it's internally based on the Vista kernel) does support machines with Windows XP, of couse.

It's just that the RAM requirements are somewhat higher, namely, BART 3.0 requires a machine with at least 320MB of RAM.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gmgfarrand

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 09:57:45 PM »
I have tried to use the same method that I use to make bootable VISTAPE Flash Drives using the new AVAST Beta and it doesn't seem to work.
I get to the alwill splash screen, then the PC reboots.

Any ideas as to why this does not work?

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 12:00:13 AM »
-= What is BART CD..?
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1