Author Topic: Virus Problem  (Read 4614 times)

24 Grams

Virus Problem
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:04:11 AM »
Hi all, I haven't been here a while. My computer was infected with a virus recently (anti virus 2008 and perhaps more) I did not install this thinking it was anti virus software (I know better), though it installed itself. My desktop background has changed into one saying that i have a virus (a fake alert basically) The program opens up itself saying i have so and so viruses on my computer.  And now every time I switch it on the (computer), it starts normally until it starts to load the desktop, it shows my desktop with a black background (it's not normally black)  with the fake alert after this my computer restarts again and this is continous never reaching desktop. I have a HP but that F10 trick doesn't work, I don't have a boot CD or floppy dick (my computer is quite old), and I can't boot using the windows XP CD (I only have a copy, not original). I can't do any virus scans because I can't go into desktop, safe mode doesn't...In fact none of the advanced options work and if i select debugging mode the computer just freezes, if anyone can help (other than saying take it into repairs) I would be most greatful. Thank you.

Oh and by the way when I was able to go into desktop i did a scan (avast) and it didn't find a single thing.

wyrmrider

Re: Virus Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:32:42 AM »
can you stop with taskmaster?

can you rt click avast ball and update>programs?
either way can you open avast and schedule a boot time scan then reboot 
send any hits to chest do not delete
if not can you boot into safe mode and run avast from there?

Malware Bytes Anti Malware will get most of this infection
www.malwarebytes.org  go to the downloads page
update run  check any hits and click FIX CHECKED
you can run in safe mode if necessary (maybe)

while there also run Rogue remover - both free

do you have Spybot or anything similar installed?
if so update and run a scan
spybot can run in safe mode

cleaning your temp fill may make it go away for a while- use internet options if ie or CCleaner ATF cleaner etc

if the above do not work try one of the on line scans first like DR WEB cure it 
then do the others

24 Grams

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 02:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the advise but I can't go into desktop because my computer...
restarts again and this is continous never reaching desktop.
I've tried other things...
I have a HP but that F10 trick doesn't work, I don't have a boot CD or floppy dick (my computer is quite old), and I can't boot using the windows XP CD (I only have a copy, not original).

I can't go into safe mode either...
I can't do any virus scans because I can't go into desktop, safe mode doesn't...In fact none of the advanced options work and if i select debugging mode the computer just freezes...
and like I also said
Oh and by the way when I was able to go into desktop i did a scan (avast) and it didn't find a single thing.

So please...

micky77

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 04:57:25 PM »
Hello 24grams, a friend of mine had a very similar problem.Try using the Avira rescue cd. Download the file, or get someone to do it  for you, double click on file,and you will be prompted to burn to cd.Insert cd into infected pc and boot up.Choose option 2 scan for viruses.Most important,when aked to choose langauge,german or english,choose english,then PRESS SPACE,then enter.The download is updated daily. Good luck and post back.
http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

24 Grams

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 03:52:14 PM »
 Thanks for the tip, will post back if successful...

jackinor

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »
I had the same Antivirus 2008 which is a great nag and pain in the neck.
I suspected it was a virus and did not download anything. Instead, I called the local (Israeli) Microsoft help desk and was told to go to: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-ph/default.htm?mkt=en-ph.  It is an 'on demand' scanner, and it is a Microsoft product - and it cleared my 'Antivirus 2008'.

wyrmrider

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:27:28 AM »
jacknor
go ahead and run the Malware bytes scanner now that you have the 2008AV under controll in case there is something else lurking