Author Topic: Avast oparation and re-installation problem  (Read 2411 times)

musk

Avast oparation and re-installation problem
« on: September 19, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »
Hello.

I had a fresh installation of Windows XP Prof. SP2 and I installed Avast 4.8 free edition on It.

It operated fine for two days but when i connected the PC to the Wi-Fi access point after some minutes avast has become to have strange behavior. First of all avast services have been suddenly disabled (or somehow removed). As it was the fresh XP installation there was the only user account activated but when i rebooted my PC there was a login welcome screen where i had to choose the current login (login process was automated before). So i tried to uninstall avast and reinstall it to force it to operate. The unistallation went OK but it cannot be installed again. There is some error in the log about the failure of creating it's services registry keys. Since this time avast cannot be even installed and the PC has strange behavior. Can someone give me some advice or maybe someone already have solved the similar problem?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:03:06 PM by musk »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast oparation and re-installation problem
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 02:47:32 PM »
Hmmm... your computer seems infected (Beagle/Bagle) and your avast installation corrupted.

I suggest a full computer on-line scanning:
Kaspersky (very good detection rates)
ESET NOD32
Trendmicro housecall
F-Secure
BitDefender (free removal of the malware)

You can also:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
3. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
The best things in life are free.

musk

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »
Thank You for your reply and advices.

Unluckily none of your advices could help me to solve my problem.
No on-line av scanner worked because the Java environment cannot be installed on this possibly infected system. Other on-line scanners - based on ActiveX - also failed to begin the scanning.

Antispyware also fails to find anything suspicious.

I'm currently looking for some bootable CD scanner with latest virus definitions.

Thank You for your help and wish me luck.
MusK

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »
I'm currently looking for some bootable CD scanner with latest virus definitions.
Try DrWeb CureIT! standalone application.
The best things in life are free.