Author Topic: Results - 'Unable to Scan Archive is Password Protected' ?  (Read 18076 times)

WarrenG

Results - 'Unable to Scan Archive is Password Protected' ?
« on: September 20, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »
If I complete a scan with Avast Home Edition then look at the results there is a lot of files stating the following message 'Unable to Scan Archive is Password Protected'.

Is there a setting that will allow these file to be scanned or are these files mainly system files that are password protected and therefore could not become infected?

Online Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Results - 'Unable to Scan Archive is Password Protected' ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 01:29:45 PM »
If I complete a scan with Avast Home Edition then look at the results there is a lot of files stating the following message 'Unable to Scan Archive is Password Protected'.

avast! don't know the password, that's why it can't scan the archive.

or are these files mainly system files that are password protected and therefore could not become infected?

Looking at the filename, and where the file is located, can often give you more info why avast! couldn't scan it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 01:32:40 PM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »
avast can't scan files that are password protected, it doesn't know the password.
There are many legitimate reasons why a file was password protected. For instance, the ones you're talking about. Lavasoft stores its data in a password-protected ZIP archives (to prevent other similar tools from messing up with them). It's really nothing to worry about - it's normal.

In AdAware and Spybot, for instance, when you fix/remove things it keeps backup/recovery information so you can restore anything that was mistakenly fixed/removed, etc. After a reasonable time your system has suffered no adverse effects, you can get rid of the older recovery/backup points.

This should reduce the number of protected files.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 04:42:12 PM »

Is there a setting that will allow these file to be scanned or are these files mainly system files that are password protected and therefore could not become infected?

If you can give some examples of the file names and locations, it will indicate the likely reason for them being protected, security applications as has been mentioned being the most common legitimate reason.

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35347.msg297170#msg297170 this topic for more information on why files can't be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

WarrenG

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 06:22:50 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. Will try a boot scan just to be sure.  I have used spybot quite regular (before recently having read these forums trying super antispy software) so it could explained the files.

No infections were found after the scan just plenty of password protected files.

Many thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 06:47:50 PM »
Which is why we asked for examples of the files and locations ;D

Remember these are only notifications of files that couldn't be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
No infections were found after the scan just plenty of password protected files.
You can change the report for showing just 'infected files' and then you won't be alarmed by these detections.

WarrenG

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »
Tech - how do change the report for showing just infected files?

I have looked in to the program setting > Logging (which is set to Notice) and looked in to confirmations but can not see an option for just showing infected files?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 08:41:51 PM »
Home version? Right click the 'a' blue icon, Program settings, Report. Then let only the infected checked (removing errors and clean ones).

I have looked in to the program setting > Logging (which is set to Notice) and looked in to confirmations but can not see an option for just showing infected files?
Logging is one thing. Reporting is another.

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 01:49:33 PM »
Home version? Right click the 'a' blue icon, Program settings, Report. Then let only the infected checked (removing errors and clean ones).

I'm using the Home Edition 4.8.1229 and it's "Report File" in Program Settings...  Then you (may) have to insure that "Create Report File" is checked before proceeding as Tech indicated... ;)