Author Topic: What features of Avast Pro do not work on 64 bit systems (ie. Vista 64 bit)?  (Read 5595 times)

Texas-Hansen

I recall reading a post a bit back that mentioned that boot scanning was not available for those using 64 bit systems.  Does anyone know what other features of Avast Pro do not work on 64 bit systems such as Vista 64bit?  (I don't see on Avast's web page where any exceptions, including boot scanning, are noted.)

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I think is the only one...
Maybe they could confirm anything related to the rootkit scanning, but I think it is covered in 64bits versions.
The best things in life are free.

Texas-Hansen

Thanks. I was wondering about rootkit detection too on 64bit systems. I too would like to see Avast chime in here since the info is not on their website.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Easy way to test if it works is to check for the existence of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\aswAr.log file (the log created by the anti-rootkit scan) and see if it is indeed scanning.

Of course you could try running it from a command line on ashQuick.exe and see if it runs outside of the auto scan 8 minutes after boot.

avast! Rootkit Scan - Windows Start, Run and copy and paste this command (including the quotes, assumes that you installed avast in the default location) "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "<RTK>SUPERQUICK" and click OK.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Everything in 32bit versions also works in 64bit versions. So no differences.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Texas-Hansen

Easy way to test if it works is to check for the existence of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\aswAr.log file (the log created by the anti-rootkit scan) and see if it is indeed scanning.

Of course you could try running it from a command line on ashQuick.exe and see if it runs outside of the auto scan 8 minutes after boot.

avast! Rootkit Scan - Windows Start, Run and copy and paste this command (including the quotes, assumes that you installed avast in the default location) "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "<RTK>SUPERQUICK" and click OK.

Thanks.  I'll try this to see if it works on Vista x64.  

Everything in 32bit versions also works in 64bit versions. So no differences.

Well, that's not 100% correct.  We know that boot scanning works on 32 bit systems but is not available on 64 bit systems with Avast. 

[EDIT}

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:20:42 PM by Texas-Hansen »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
I see no reason why boot scanner wouldn't work under Vista 64bit...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Texas-Hansen

I'm not sure why they do not yet include it for use on 64 bit systems.

Another feature I forgot that I do not think works fully in 64 bit systems is the Script Blocker when using IE.  There does appear to be some activity within the Script Block on Vista 64x but the activity does not correspond to what pages are brought up in IE.  For instance, if I run my 32 bit laptop next to the my 64 bit desktop and watch the script blocker for each while the same pages on each are brought up, there is activity listed for the script blocker on the 32 bit system but not on the 64 bit system.  I think script blocker's function is limited in 64 bit systems to perhaps installs of software.  Not sure exactly. 

Maybe it's just limited to boot scan and some limited functionality for script blocker. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:22:23 PM by Texas-Hansen »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Drivers weren't developed (yet) for that. I mean, for boot time scanning, not the rootkit scanner.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Another feature I forgot that I do not think works fully in 64 bit systems is the Script Blocker when using IE.
On Vista (even 32bits) IE runs in Protected Mode. Script Blocker does not work while IE is under this protection level, afaik.