Author Topic: Outlook 2007 Send problem  (Read 10173 times)

docdk

Outlook 2007 Send problem
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:07:12 AM »
I am running XP Pro SP 2.
Avast updated itself and I have not been able to send any messages without dissabling the program.
I have checked for Add-ons and there are none listed.
I have even tried to pause the individual programs and try to send without success.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Outlook 2007 Send problem
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »
I am running XP Pro SP 2.
Avast updated itself and I have not been able to send any messages without dissabling the program.
I have checked for Add-ons and there are none listed.
I have even tried to pause the individual programs and try to send without success.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Welcome to the forum! :)

What is your firewall?
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Besides this, which is your email provider (GMail?)? Does it use secure connections (SSL)?
The best things in life are free.

docdk

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:25:14 PM »
I am using the XP Pro firewall.
I do not use any other anti virus programs.
Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:31:39 PM »
I do not use any other anti virus programs.
Did you use in the past? Does anyone come installed in your computer? How did you uninstall them?

docdk

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:43:13 AM »
I have used Zone Alarm in the past and I had problems with my home network connections.
I uninstalled the Zone alarm, used Registry Booster 2 to clean the registry, rebooted and then installed Avast.
Avast worked like a charm for a long while.  It is only now that it does not allow the emails to send.
I am using the Bell network provider in Canada.  It does use an SSL connection.
Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »
It does use an SSL connection.
I've found this on forums, does it apply to you?

However, in case anyone else reads this - we know now that Sympatico recommends to its customers to send mail (SMTP) using a secure connection (TLS) on port 25.  This is a rather non-standard use of port 25 and one with which avast cannot contend.  The only realistic solution at present is for users of Sympatico email and avast to turn off outbound email scanning in the avast Internet Mail provider.

The fault here is more with Sympatico than avast and it has been discussed many times in this forum if you care to search.

There are incredibly few ISPs on the planet that are stupid enough to implement SSL security using port 25 for SMTP as Sympatico has done - I can think of only a couple of others that are doing the same thing ... one is in Portugal.  It is a de facto standard of email worldwide that port 25 is used for unsecured email connections.  The de facto email standard for sending SMTP with SSL is port 465.

avast, quite reasonably, assumes that it can scan port 25 connections because the standard is that port 25 connections are unsecured.  If there is a requirement from the email server (as there is with Sympatico) that port 25 be secured then avast will, unfortunately, get in the way and prevent the connection.  If you happen to be a Sympatico user you have no choice but to turn off outbound scanning.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 08:40:50 PM »
The best avast provider to use with Outlook is the Outlook/Exchange provider.  If you were using that you would not see this problem at all.

If, for whatever reason, you have decided not to use that then the better solution for dealing with the Sympatico send problem with the avast Internet Mail provider is recorded here.

docdk

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:31:53 PM »
I tried turning off the outbound email scanning and I still get the error message "  Task-sending reported error..."None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by the server"
What should I try next?   

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
What happens if you terminate the Internet Mail provider?  Are you able to send mail then?

Why not try using the Outlook/Exchange provider of avast which is the recommended provider for use with Outlook?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:45:39 PM by alanrf »

docdk

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 03:43:50 AM »
Yahooooooo.  I turned off the email provider and Outlook now sends.

Many thanks for all your help.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 04:57:35 AM »
That is not the goal here - at least not if you want your email scanned by avast?

Are you running the avast Outlook/Exchange provider?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 02:34:45 PM »
That is not the goal here - at least not if you want your email scanned by avast?

Are you running the avast Outlook/Exchange provider?
Alanrf, I use Outlook 2007 and have both Internet Mail provider and Outlook plugin turned on. What's the difference with docdk's configuration?

docdk

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 06:04:44 AM »
I have the outlook filter running and all seems to work.  I turned off the email filter.
Does this mean that I do not have any email protection at this point?
I also notice that when I do a "Send / receive" that I always have more emails sending than I have in my file.
I thought that I had some virus, but all the scans come up negative.
I don't know if this helps.
Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 05:17:48 PM »
I turned off the email filter.
Where? Into avast settings? Are you referring to Internet Mail provider? Which is "email filter" for you?