Author Topic: Can't get emails to show they were scanned by Avast??  (Read 6108 times)

2harts4ever

Can't get emails to show they were scanned by Avast??
« on: September 22, 2008, 07:28:53 PM »
Good afternoon,

I have just returned to Avast after an absence of about a year.

For one reason or another I can't seem to get my Outlook Express emails to show they have been checked by Avast (both incoming and outgoing -- clean or unclean).

I used to have this feature but for the life of me I can't remember how to bring it about.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Can't get emails to show they were scanned by Avast??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:36:28 PM »
avast only scans emails in OE (or any other mail client) that are received on POP port 110 or sent on SMTP port 25.

It is possible that you are now using secure ports to your mail servers and those (by intention) cannot be scanned by avast.  To scan those emails (presently) requires the assistance of a free third party program called STunnel (to manage the termination of the the secure connections and allow the emails to be scanned by avast safely inside your system).  avast has said that the function of STunnel will be provided within avast in the next major release of avast (avast version 5).

One other possibility is the use of a Webmail to POP converter (like YPops for Yahoo).  These emails are not, by default, scanned by avast but can be easily if needed.

Does that help? 

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:37:12 PM »
click on the A ball in the system tray, click detail, click on internet mail, click on customize, There you'll find the different mail settings. Put a check in "insert note into clean message" under SMPT for outgoing or POP for incoming.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:41:08 PM by marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:43:01 PM »
In an earlier post (Feb 2008) the poster advised us that the email account in question is with Comcast and using secure ports for delivery.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:45:43 PM by alanrf »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »
In an earlier post (Feb 2008) the poster advised us that the email account in question is with Comcast and using secure ports for delivery.

I didn't know that, Thanks alanrf
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

2harts4ever

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:05:12 PM »
Hi marc57 and alanrf,

I appreciate both of your timely responses.

alanrf:  So would you recommend I just stay with the secure ports set-up by Comcast and wait until Avast incorporates the function of STunnel in their next version and not worry about it?

By the way, thanks for finding my previous post several months back.  I briefly tried to find it but didn't have much luck.

marc57: I am sorry to have taken your time when a little extra research in trying to find my former post would have eliminated the need for this question.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:58:52 PM »
alanrf:  So would you recommend I just stay with the secure ports set-up by Comcast and wait until Avast incorporates the function of STunnel in their next version and not worry about it?
Take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!. If you need help, just let we (or Alanrf ;)) know...
The best things in life are free.

2harts4ever

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 12:45:19 AM »
Hi Tech,

I appreciate the link but that is so far over my computer expertise I could't do it if my life depended on it ...lol

I guess I will be content to just let Comcast be in charge of securing my Outlook Express email until Avast includes the function of STunnel in their next version.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 01:02:47 AM »
I guess I will be content to just let Comcast be in charge of securing my Outlook Express email until Avast includes the function of STunnel in their next version.
Does Comcast scan the emails? If so, you're most probably protected by this door...
The best things in life are free.

2harts4ever

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 01:14:49 AM »
Hi Tech,

Does Comcast scan the emails? If so, you're most probably protected by this door...

Yes .. they scan it.  So hopefully that will work.  I just figured that if I could get Avast to do it too it would be a double whammy  on the baddies.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 02:36:13 AM »
Well exercising due care and attention with emails will keep you out of trouble up to a point. Never open attachments or click links in unsolicited emails, even if they are supposedly from friends, it is easy to fake who an email comes from.

Is the email out of context for the person supposedly sending it you can always check with the friend who supposedly sent it. Take all security/banking/too good to be true emails with a giant pinch of salt. Never open an email attachmnet directly from the email (assuming it comes from a trusted source) save the file to your HDD and scan it with avast, check, check and if you haven't got that check again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

2harts4ever

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 02:47:23 AM »
Hi DavidR,

Excellent advice.

Thanks and regards,.

2harts4ever

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 02:53:41 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security