Author Topic: Shortcuts not working  (Read 4646 times)

jonzsie

Shortcuts not working
« on: April 14, 2004, 12:25:02 AM »
Recently I installed slim browser on my desktop and laptop both running xp home edition. Since then I have not been able to use my desktop shortcuts or links on bottom task bar..but the links on the browser bar work. Everytime I click a shortcut sygate firewall would kick in saying "run a DLL app is trying to connect to www. the site I'm trying to get to" I click yes then the the printer window appears as if I'm going to print something.

I tried deleting all my shortcuts and links and putting them on again but still they wouldn't work. So decided to uninstall it on my laptop and go back to using internet explorer...everything worked again. But when I uninstalled it on my desktop computer it is still not working, can't use shortcuts or make news one and the printer window is still coming up. I did a reg clean, rebooted and still the same.

Can anyone help me out on this please.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Shortcuts not working
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 04:35:12 AM »
I think this is not avast related... On contrary, you seem to have some worm/spyware in your system... Did you run SpyBot and/or Ad-aware? You seem to lost the 'file assotiation' for links..., a typical behavior of worms.  ::)
The best things in life are free.

jonzsie

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 12:57:13 AM »
No this has nothing to do with avast...was I not meant to post here..thought it was general. Got so much help before with a prob I had with Avast thought I would run this thru'. Thanks for responding. I have had a few virus's lately but they were dealt with and I have run spybot and adware and a trogen program. It was odd that it happened on both my computers..I don't have a network connection.

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 03:23:46 AM »
No this has nothing to do with avast...was I not meant to post here..thought it was general. Got so much help before with a prob I had with Avast thought I would run this thru'. Thanks for responding. I have had a few virus's lately but they were dealt with and I have run spybot and adware and a trogen program. It was odd that it happened on both my computers..I don't have a network connection.

Thanks.

Do Spybot and Adware found nothing?
Did you succeed on debugging this problem?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

jonzsie

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 04:10:06 AM »
There didn't seem to be anything connected to it. I shouldn't have been too hasty in installing it on my second computer.......at that time I didn't realize the shortcuts weren't working.