Author Topic: Have been there, Did that, and it don't work !!!  (Read 7618 times)

hines232

Have been there, Did that, and it don't work !!!
« on: September 17, 2008, 09:09:52 PM »
Dear Subscriber,

This is what I have been told by my ISP provider. I tried what they said to do to set up (Out Look Express), to work with Google. They had a very nice home page and a very simple dial up procedure, Now the home page looks like google's home page and takes for ever to load in on my OS. I have used Juno and Peoplepc for a while before looking around for an easer provided (before mentioned software did not work well for me) and I ended up with ISP.COM, loved them till now.!!  I guess what I'm asking is How Now do I keep Out Look Express working, and Avast scanning it for me with the icon showing in tray?  (ISP.COM automaticaly set up OUT LOOK EXPRESS for me)I guess as default mail client, and avast worked.

ISP.com is pleased to announce that we have transitioned our mail and portal services to Google Apps. Google Apps will allow you to communicate over the Internet more effectively and will provide you with more web mail space.  Please note that only people with ISP.com email addresses have been moved to Google.  This change will not impact virtual domain customers or any aspect of your Internet connection.

To ease the transition, you will continue to be able to access your mail from the legacy ISP.com mail servers. However, we strongly encourage you to transition to Google Apps immediately.  The legacy ISP.com mail servers will be shut down on September 18th.  Please note that there are several changes that need to be made that will allow your system to access mail via Google.  We strongly encourage you to make these changes immediately to avoid any downtime. The changes are as follows:

Webmail

You can access your mail via Google on the web at http://webmail2.isp.com.  The current web mail URL of http://webmail.isp.com is pointed to the old mail server.  Mail will be delivered to both old mail server and the Google mail servers until September 18th.  The contacts that existed on the old mail server have already been ported over to the Google Mail service. We encourage you to start accessing your mail via Google immediately.  By using the webmail interface provided by Google, you will have 6.5 GB of storage space.  This is over 20 times the space than before.

Password

Over the last few weeks, we have sent several communications requesting you to change your password so it is at least eight characters.  If your password is less than eight characters, we have appended the word password to the end of your password.  For example, if my password was john the password was changed to johnpassword.  This is the password that you will need to enter in order to access your mail via Google.  If wish to change your password, you can so by going to http://accounting.isp.com/members/pwd_change.cgi.

POP Mail

With the extra storage space, it is no longer necessary for you to access all of your mail using an Email client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Apple Mail, Entourage, Thunderbird, etc).  While this option is still available to you, you will need to change your email client settings in order to for your client to work with Google.

For Windows Outlook, Outlook Express, and Windows Mail (Vista) users, you can simply download a configuration client by going to http://www.isp.com/googlemail.  For other email clients and for Macintosh users, you can find step by step instructions, there are step by step instructions located at http://www.isp.com/googlemail

New Portal Website

There is now a new customizable ISP.com website located at http://my.isp.com that is powered by Google.  This will allow you to receive a mix of news, sports information, entertainment, weather and many other customizable features that were not previously available.  For additional information on how to customize the portal, please go to the following web site: http://www.google.com/support/a/users/bin/topic.py?topic=10103&hl=en

You can also find the answer to your questions by going to http://www.isp.com/help.asp and clicking on the Google Apps information.

We hope you enjoy your new Google Apps email account!  If you have any questions or concerns regarding this change, please let us know. We are interested in getting your feedback.

Sincerely,

ISP.com Customer Service
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:15:40 PM by hines232 »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Have been there, Did that, and it don't work !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:54:54 PM »
Very simply put - avast cannot scan GMail (no matter what mail client you use).

GMail requires that you use secured connections to their servers to receive and send mail.  The whole point of secured connections is that they cannot be scanned.

Please see this post and the follow up response from David:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38667.msg324177#msg324177

hines232

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:47:34 AM »
Thanks for the come back, Guess I will wait for Avast 5, and go from there.  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:26:29 AM »
Thanks for the come back, Guess I will wait for Avast 5, and go from there.  :-\
If you want, we could guide you to have avast + GMail + 3rd party (Stunnel) to get they working together. Just let we know.
The best things in life are free.

hines232

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »
Thank you very much Tech !!!. Will try and get thoughts togeather, and maybe we will try later. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 08:01:01 PM »
Thank you very much Tech !!!. Will try and get thoughts togeather, and maybe we will try later. :)
You're welcome. We'll be here ;)

hines232

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:41:00 AM »
Tech, Could it be as simple as saying YES to Yahoo, To make (Outlook Express) Work with Yahoo mail ???? (see attachment) Still thinking ;D

Would You now believe on top of all this, The Homepage I used, has also updated and will support Windows ME, but not there e-mail !!!!!!! (myway.com). I used them and yahoo, and my default was Outlook Express. !!

I would like to set up "Yahoo" on Outlook Express, if possible ???, So Avast will scann Yahoo.  ::)    (Gmail is Google), is it not ??. Don't like Google, dose not work good on my OS ME. (Or i don't know what i am talking about, more like it !
Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:57:13 AM by hines232 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 08:58:32 PM »
It will depend on the type of Yahoo account you have. 

If you have a paid for Yahoo.com email account then you do have POP/SMTP access and can set up the account in OE and have it scanned with the help of STunnel as discussed in the link provided by Tech.

If you have a free Yahoo.com email account then you do not have POP/SMTP access to the account and the link is of no help to you.

If you want to have a free account set up in OE then you would need to use a free program like YPops to convert the yahoo mail from Web mail to/from POP/SMTP so that OE will work with it (and it can be scanned by avast).  As with all of these solution there are trade-offs that you need to be aware of - if you want to know more or want help in trying it - let us know.   

hines232

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:09:48 PM »
Thanks Tech and Alanrf. Will let you know. ;D

hines232

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 02:32:24 AM »
It will depend on the type of Yahoo account you have. 

If you have a paid for Yahoo.com email account then you do have POP/SMTP access and can set up the account in OE and have it scanned with the help of STunnel as discussed in the link provided by Tech.

If you have a free Yahoo.com email account then you do not have POP/SMTP access to the account and the link is of no help to you.

If you want to have a free account set up in OE then you would need to use a free program like YPops to convert the yahoo mail from Web mail to/from POP/SMTP so that OE will work with it (and it can be scanned by avast).  As with all of these solution there are trade-offs that you need to be aware of - if you want to know more or want help in trying it - let us know.   

Here is an add from Yahoo Mail Plus  (Offline access with POPWith POP access, you can download your Yahoo! Mail messages using your desktop email application, such as Outlook™, and then access them offline.)  Now, it dose not mention "Avast" mail scanning I realize, So as before explaned I still would need  "Stunnel", or  some thing equivalent to it ? If so why did I not need "Stunnel" with ISP.com and all worked well with "Outlook" and Avast ? Sorry to be so dense.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 04:42:57 AM »
It is nothing to do with being dense it is just understanding this difference:

It is the administrators of each mail server that make the decision:

You can access your mail via unsecured ports (that avast can scan)

-or-

You can only access your mail via secured ports (that avast cannot scan - at least not currently without the help of STunnel).

Be clear - you and avast cannot do anything to influence this situation - it is entirely up to the administrators of the email servers.

You may well think that secured connections must be better - no brainer.  However, the truth is that the move to secure connections has been made more for the benefit of the mail server owners than for their customers.  Especially in the case of email sending this move has meant that they are relieved of the overhead and possible legal risks of huge amounts of spam going through their servers.

If you are directly on the network of ISP.com and using their email servers then - frankly - unsecured connections are just fine.  However if you are in your local internet cafe and connect to ISP.com's (or Yahoo's) email servers through the internet cafe's wireless service of unknown security then you should be using secured connections for the protection of your own information.

Since so many users now connect through such wireless services some email services (such as GMail - and I believe Yahoo and I know Hotmail) now only provide access to their POP/SMTP email servers via secure connections.  avast recognizes this drift and have said that they will provide the functional equivalent of Stunnel in avast 5.  With this the email secure connections can be directly managed by avast and allow the mail stream between the secure connection end point and your mail client to be scanned by avast safely within your system.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:44:46 AM by alanrf »

hines232

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
It is nothing to do with being dense it is just understanding this difference:

It is the administrators of each mail server that make the decision:

You can access your mail via unsecured ports (that avast can scan)

-or-

You can only access your mail via secured ports (that avast cannot scan - at least not currently without the help of STunnel).

Be clear - you and avast cannot do anything to influence this situation - it is entirely up to the administrators of the email servers.

You may well think that secured connections must be better - no brainer.  However, the truth is that the move to secure connections has been made more for the benefit of the mail server owners than for their customers.  Especially in the case of email sending this move has meant that they are relieved of the overhead and possible legal risks of huge amounts of spam going through their servers.

If you are directly on the network of ISP.com and using their email servers then - frankly - unsecured connections are just fine.  However if you are in your local internet cafe and connect to ISP.com's (or Yahoo's) email servers through the internet cafe's wireless service of unknown security then you should be using secured connections for the protection of your own information.

Since so many users now connect through such wireless services some email services (such as GMail - and I believe Yahoo and I know Hotmail) now only provide access to their POP/SMTP email servers via secure connections.  avast recognizes this drift and have said that they will provide the functional equivalent of Stunnel in avast 5.  With this the email secure connections can be directly managed by avast and allow the mail stream between the secure connection end point and your mail client to be scanned by avast safely within your system.
Fantastic !  Thanks to You and all the other's that responded ! Guess your never to old to learn  ;D