Author Topic: Problem withPage Display  (Read 3289 times)

Gilly

Problem withPage Display
« on: September 26, 2008, 10:47:33 AM »
Please can anyone help, I have avast home edition running on my PC which is windows XP and I am running on a wireless network, I am having problems getting into the internet, I keep getting a message saying 'page can not be displayed', then when I do get in I key where I want to be in Google, the search comes back and then when I click on which site I want to go into it sends me somewhere else.

I thought I may have a virus and have run the avast check on the system but nothing is coming up.  Apologies I am not too good on techy stuff and want to make sure I have done as much as I can before calling someone in to look at the machine.

I have tried another PC in the house and this runs perfectly on the internet, so I do know it is something to do with the machine.

Thank you for your time.

ardvark

Re: Problem withPage Display
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:16:02 AM »
I keep getting a message saying 'page can not be displayed', then when I do get in I key where I want to be in Google, the search comes back and then when I click on which site I want to go into it sends me somewhere else.

Hi...

This does sound like a malware infection of some kind. If you would, please go to this thread...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38871.0

and scroll down to the third post (to a gentleman named Tech) and follow his instructions there.

Let is know how it goes. :)

Best Regards...

Gilly

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
Hi

Thank you for the advice, I went into the thread and followed it through to no 5, I had quite a few trojans, malware and adware on my pc, but when i tried to click on on the Hijack this link, it again showed page can not be displayed and stopped me going into anything. I went into one of the other thinks but it asks for me to provide some info, which goes straight over my head.

I am not sure how to disable the system restore, I tried going into a site via google and once again it still sends me somewhere else, maybe when I can disable the system restore this may help?.

Many thanks for your help and patience...

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:32:05 PM »
Hi...

If I remember correctly, for Windows XP, you right click on "My Computer" and click "Properties" in the menu. When that window comes up there should be a tab that says "System Restore" or "System Protection," (as it is in Vista Home Premium.) Just uncheck the boxes next to the drives listed and click "Apply" then OK."

Can you tell us what information they were asking you for exactly? Please try getting the Hijack This program again as this will help us in  dertimining where (and what) the problem is. :)

Best Regards...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:41:04 PM »
I am not sure how to disable the system restore
Disable System Restore on Windows ME, XP or Vista. System Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x and it's not available in Windows 2k. After disabling you can enable it again.
The best things in life are free.