Author Topic: Suspicious File Found: WINSYS2.EXE  (Read 46957 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Suspicious File Found: WINSYS2.EXE
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2009, 10:48:15 PM »
Please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result.
The best things in life are free.

Mancha

Re: Suspicious File Found: WINSYS2.EXE
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2011, 12:19:08 AM »
For what it's worth: I installed an older version of MacAfee Viruscan which found the madchook.dll and placed it in quarantine. I then received an error message when winsys2.exe tried to run during windows XP startup. I also noticed that the NVidia Desktop Manager icon in my Control Panel showed a broken link presumably due to winsys2 not running any more.

Went to the NVidia website and downloaded latest driver software. The NVidia Desktop Manager is now working (new icon appeared in system tray also), but the winsys2.exe file is still set to run on startup. I used MSCONFIG command to turn off winsys2.exe under the startup tab. Although I am not sure how to uninstall drivers that created winsys2.exe in the first place, everything seems to be working as it should...and no more startup error.

Perahps McAfee wants to be cautious and stop files (madchook.dll) that could be viruses even if some are legitimate. NVidia does seem to have stopped its use of madchook.dll and winsys2.exe in the new driver software as well.