Author Topic: Upgrade your Fx browser to version 3.0.2!  (Read 14869 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Upgrade your Fx browser to version 3.0.2!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 11:49:24 PM »
Hi bunk,

If that is your policy, it is, and you are entitled to it. Anyways I would install the NoScript add-on to feel secure against the old, the new and the not even dreamed of scripting  vulnerabilities in older, recent and newer or not yet developed versions of the Mozilla browsers (Minefield, Fx and Flock alike). Without NoScript protection where security is concerned I would feel naked. Then again I hear the young ones murmur "Oh, but handling NoScript is a nag", but these are beyond help anyway. The n00b clicker surfer is insecure because he does not know better, the guys that should know better but ignore simple security measures are just bluntly "nosewise", and if they crash or get malware aboard they only have themselves to blame. There it is where it stands at i.m.o.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

bunk

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 12:48:42 AM »
Thanks Polonus,

I did go do some research on this, but dont believe this is for me, and I dont even feel naked afterwards  ;D

If nothing else, this is a cool place to see different ideas on what works best for various users. I've never gotten into the add ons, while I did try a couple that I was less than impressed with, I trust my security set up, combined with my knowledge to keep my PCs out of harms way.

Believe this one or not, but i've personally had more problems while at photobucket, than any other seemingly more dangerous sites.

I guess I might be more like 70% FF & 30% IE after I think about it a little more  ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:10:14 AM by bunk »

Sesame

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 03:14:43 AM »
I made the post because several people had problems viewing pages in various other forums that I visit. We treated it from a computer troubleshooting perspective, and isolated it to the installition of FF3. Sure enough, they uninstalled FF3, and went back to FF2, and the problems ceased, so I posted from this expeirence, not just smarting off.
Could you point out sites where you had these issues?

bunk

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 03:22:55 AM »
I didn't personally witness this, as I said, I didn't update to version 3

They did post screen shots of their views though.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:26:17 AM by bunk »

Sesame

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 03:35:11 AM »
I didn't personally witness this, as I said, I didn't update to version 3

They did post screen shots of their views though.
I think the issues are site specific.  Personally, I haven't experienced the issue.  Also, I tried some browser benchmark sites including Acid 3 test.  In all the tests, Firefox 3 scored much better than Firefox 2 did.  Firefox 3 is not only faster but more compatible than its predecessor is.  Firefox 3's competitor is rather other latest browsers.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:53:04 AM by Rumpel »

gdiloren

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 04:28:51 AM »
Hi Rumpel,
     The point is that FF3 may install in a bad fashion or work badly on older systems than on new ones. That's why some people tend to stick with their old version since they don't have the money to buy new PCs... :D Anyway the feeling of "secure" is always "subjective" and "misleading" as I may well be infected an never suspect anything but that silent infection causes me less trouble than a would be "update". :o

bunk

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 04:36:46 AM »
I cerntainly dont mean to degrade FF3, I downloaded one just to help set the record, just never installed it.

However, in "many" other places, it's not as well liked as it is here.

For what it's worth, everyone that had this problem was running XP, maybee not on brand new machines, but not old clunkers either  :)

Personally, on my computers, both FF2, and IE 6 load as if you are changing channells on a TV, now those are pretty fast pages, and I dont need them any faster than that  ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:39:50 AM by bunk »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 04:56:24 AM »
bunk,

I think that your position is currently technically quite tenable. 

Despite the other comments here Firefox is still currently providing - as I am sure you know - all needed security updates for FF2.  However, that assurance is drawing to a close and quite soon the the support for FF2 will expire.  That is why I have migrated the folks I support to FF3 and I hope that you have plans to keep the folks you help up to date on security by getting them onto a browser with guaranteed future support.   

Sesame

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 05:18:38 AM »
However, in "many" other places, it's not as well liked as it is here.
Rather than like/dislike, I'd like to have an evidence.

For what it's worth, everyone that had this problem was running XP, maybee not on brand new machines, but not old clunkers either  :)
All the machines we have are XP and the spec varies but they don't have issues with FF3.  So, there is no way to test your information here.  :(  :P

Despite the other comments here Firefox is still currently providing - as I am sure you know - all needed security updates for FF2.
I didn't mean FF2 is less secure than FF3 is but I wonder what is "more bad" about FF3.

However, that assurance is drawing to a close and quite soon the the support for FF2 will expire.  That is why I have migrated the folks I support to FF3 and I hope that you have plans to keep the folks you help up to date on security by getting them onto a browser with guaranteed future support.   
I agree with you here.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 05:42:36 AM »
Rumpel ,

I didn't mean FF2 is less secure than FF3 is but I wonder what is "more bad" about FF3.

My comments were purely addressed to bunk and I was not attempting to imply any extra reading of your posts.  I suspect there is here a lingering element of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" that must be seen in tandem with the never ending saga in Firefox of "the new version is ready but most of the add-ons are not".

bunk (and I) are trying to support others.  These folks (at least in my case) are not those who frequent forums such as this and are so far from the likes of the the more knowledgeable members of this forum they might as well be from another planet.  We have to interpret new product updates such a FF3 for our users in way that minimizes their discomfort and potential dislocation in making the move and just making a judgment for "when the time is right".  I suspect that is the issue that bunk is working on.         

Sesame

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 05:53:29 AM »
bunk (and I) are trying to support others.
Me, too, and I wanted to know if there is some thing which should be taken to consideration in bunk's comment of "more bad" about FF3.  In case you missed it, Tech is another one who asked about it.

These folks (at least in my case) are not those who frequent forums such as this and are so far from the likes of the the more knowledgeable members of this forum they might as well be from another planet.  We have to interpret new product updates such a FF3 for our users in way that minimizes their discomfort and potential dislocation in making the move and just making a judgment for "when the time is right".  I suspect that is the issue that bunk is working on.         
I am less frequent to come to this forum but I have intention to offer as precise information as possible.

bunk

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 03:09:07 PM »
Ok guys, please see this link: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/ Check out the "Most Popular Topics"

Now, I didn't have anything to do with this, nor has anyone I know or help posted here, just happened upon it while researching the matter. I thought maybee I was out of line here, and was reflecting the views of a very small group of people.

These are things that are happening to real users, all over the world, and are statements from the like.

I do realize that most members here are decent techs, to say the least, but the regular users are in fact having a lot of issues with FF3. You want real evidence ? There you go.

I do understand that Moxilla will soon stop supporting FF2, and with that said, if one has good security in place, and safe browsing habits, they should be fine with FF2 for a long time. A wreckless user will get infected with malware, that's that, I dont care what browser they are using. Some of the best techs I know, and work with a lot, use IE 6 only, and again, with good security in place, dont have any problems.

Sesame

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »
Ok guys, please see this link: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/ Check out the "Most Popular Topics"

Now, I didn't have anything to do with this, nor has anyone I know or help posted here, just happened upon it while researching the matter. I thought maybee I was out of line here, and was reflecting the views of a very small group of people.

These are things that are happening to real users, all over the world, and are statements from the like.

I do realize that most members here are decent techs, to say the least, but the regular users are in fact having a lot of issues with FF3. You want real evidence ? There you go.
O.K.  I now see where you came from, bunk.  Indeed, some people don't like the new interface and features and have problem with new file handling.  I thought it was security-related issue.  Thanx for sharing the source.

bunk

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 04:38:44 PM »
Accually, I just happened upon that..... The folks I tried to help thru this probably dont know that exist.

Now, you guys here are advanced users, to say the least. As I read some of those posts, those people are unable to figure out where to turn off their updates, let alone alter program coding as some here do. I was pointing out what the common users feel about FF3.

I myself sometimes don't understand why someone would take a browser that works so well, and make those kinds of changes to it. You can say "for security reasons" if you wish, but in all reality, the bad guys "will" exploit any browser that mozilla / microsoft / opera, etc.... comes out with. I'm sure being involved in the anti-malware community as we all are here, understand that. A newer version of any browser is not the answer. That's why I stress good security, and safer habits to many.

Offline Avast Eagle

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 06:01:57 PM »
Is there any diference in the code css reading of it? im a student web designer and code for firefox 3.0/ IE7 so just asking.