Author Topic: Problem starting on-access protection after install  (Read 4267 times)

grandmagail

Problem starting on-access protection after install
« on: September 26, 2008, 04:31:56 AM »
Hi,

I installed the free edition of avast home and I cannot start on-access protection.  Avast is set to automatic in Services but it will not start.  I get an error code 1053.  RPC is set to automatic and is started.  I am able to do a scan and set preferences.  It is only the on-access protection that will not start.

Can anyone help, please?

Thank you,

Gail

YoKenny

Re: Problem starting on-access protection after install
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:38:51 AM »
Welcome grandmagail

What operating system are you running and Service Packs applied?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »
Which is your Windows? 98, Me, XP, Vista?
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer? Did you have in the past?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

grandmagail

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:26:31 PM »
Sorry, I have windows xp sp2.

I had the same version of Avast installed with no problem until a computer tech removed it because a message popped up saying it was going to expire and he thought it might be causing a problem.  It is actually my daughter's laptop and she hadn't let me know or I would have entered a registration code. The computer tech was checking the laptop out for a problem with internet connection.

He tried to install free version of Avg Anti-virus but there was a problem downloading that file.  I did a search and removed any traces of it, but I did not touch the registry.

When I had the problem starting Avast, I did try to do a repair which didn't work, and then I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and that didn't work either.

When trying to find out why, that is when I discovered the problem with starting Avast in Services.

I hope this added information will help someone to assist me in finding a solution.  Thank you so much for your replies.

Gail

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »
It would be worthwhile running this tool - AVG Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security