Author Topic: Blue Ball's Rightclick Menu Hanging  (Read 11206 times)

dkeat

Blue Ball's Rightclick Menu Hanging
« on: September 26, 2008, 09:01:42 PM »
Greetings

When I right-mouse-click on the blue ball in the Vista tray on "Start avast! Antivirus" the menu point does what it is supposed to do and then just hangs around there "floating in space" (see attached screen shot). This is annoying as it won't go away and I haven't figured out how to kill it without rebooting. It happens every time I start the application. I don't have this problem with any other application and prior to this have never had it at all, so I assume it has something to do with avast! or the installation. Would appreciate any tips. Apart from this avast! rocks.  :D

Thanks.

Dave

ardvark

Re: Blue Ball's Rightclick Menu Hanging
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 09:11:23 PM »
Hi...

Do you mean that after you use the menu it leaves behind that whiteish box?

Best Regards...

dkeat

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »
Yes, exactly. The whitish box that says "Start avast! Antivirus". It won't go away when I close the menu. It is there in the middle of the page as I write this reply to you.

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »
How much RAM do you have?
Seems that the video driver is not rendering and releasing correctly the video memory...
Does this happen after booting?
The best things in life are free.

dkeat

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:38:38 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I have 2GB of RAM. I have been using Vista Home Premium for 2 years on this machine and never had this problem before with another application. I installed avast! today.

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 09:42:29 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I have 2GB of RAM. I have been using Vista Home Premium for 2 years on this machine and never had this problem before with another application. I installed avast! today.

Dave
Which other security programs are running in background?
Which was your older antivirus? How did you uninstall it?

dkeat

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 09:49:49 PM »
The only other security related program I have running is my Comodo Firewall with its Defense+ disabled. Previously I had PC-Tools Antivirus and I used Revo Uninstaller to remove it. Revo Uninstalled does a registry scan after running the manufacturers uninstall program and removes any garbage left in the registry. It should be all gone.

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 09:59:23 PM »
The only other security related program I have running is my Comodo Firewall with its Defense+ disabled. Previously I had PC-Tools Antivirus and I used Revo Uninstaller to remove it. Revo Uninstalled does a registry scan after running the manufacturers uninstall program and removes any garbage left in the registry. It should be all gone.
Difficult to say then... Revo is not good uninstalling products that requires boot to be uninstalled.

Igor says the last word here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22698.msg188440#msg188440

See here, please:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37609.msg315764#msg315764
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:04:32 PM by Tech »

dkeat

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 10:04:27 PM »
You know it is only THAT menu item. All the other items on the SAME menu work fine. Only that one hangs. I am thinking that the install might not have been 100%. Is it possible to reinstall over an existing installation or would I have to remove the program and start from scratch?

Dave

dkeat

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 10:25:09 PM »
I read the thread you posted the link to. That is EXACTLY the issue that I WAS experiencing. I turned off the "transluscent effect", rebooted and voila! I tried the menu three times and there were no leftovers. If it stays that way all will be well in virusland. Thank you very much for your help!

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 01:28:16 AM »
Glad you've succeed... I've learning to troubleshoot a little more ;)

dkeat

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 11:20:26 AM »
I really hate to have to say this, but it has started up again. I have tried turning off the firewall, turning off Windows Defender, it makes no difference. I have even tried using lower screen resolutions and color schemes.

The interesting thing here is that the problem only occurs with one particular menu (the right-click menu for the blue tray ball) and on that menu there is only that one point that leaves "leftovers". If it were the graphic card you would think there would be other problems as well. There may very well be an interaction with the graphic card, but to say that the graphic card is causing this would be going too far.

I have been using this PC for two years and this is the first such experience of this nature that I have had.

Here is the picture again so you don't have to scroll to the top of the page.

I really like avast! I would really like to find out what is causing the problem.

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 02:55:18 PM »
I've learning to troubleshoot a little more ;)

I really hate to have to say this, but it has started up again.

I must confess I was not self confident on that solution...
What happens if you change the skin (from spiderman to any other)?

dkeat

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 03:21:54 PM »
Hi again. Well, I was a user of avast! for about a year when Vista first came out. I never had this problem and used that skin. The only reason I stopped using avast! was because I kept getting false positives from .jpg files. It was a constant "alarm" situation and I was unable to handle it through the channels available. Because I like the product I came back a year later and was pleased to find no more of the same false positives. Instead there is this. After I sent the last message it became worse. Other menu items began acting up and after closing the skin a piece of it reappeared again on the screen. Since then I rebooted and implemented the other "fix" adding the string to the avast.ini file. Right now the problem is not manifesting, but that was the case yesterday too. Then it came back. I thought of changing skins as well, but it didn't make much sense to me because the menu is independent of the skin. If it starts up again I will try that and let you know. But from viewing the two threads you sent links to, many people have or are experiencing this. I am surprised that apparently after quite some time nobody has taken the issue to a close.

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 05:47:21 PM »
Hi again. Well, I was a user of avast! for about a year when Vista first came out. I never had this problem and used that skin. The only reason I stopped using avast! was because I kept getting false positives from .jpg files.
You can use the Exclusion lists as a workaround during false positives detection.

Since then I rebooted and implemented the other "fix" adding the string to the avast.ini file.
Which firewall do you use?

I am surprised that apparently after quite some time nobody has taken the issue to a close.
Leftovers is not an easy problem to troubleshoot... ::)