Author Topic: Blue Ball's Rightclick Menu Hanging  (Read 11209 times)

dkeat

Re: Blue Ball's Rightclick Menu Hanging
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »
Hi again,

I am using Comodo V3 as a firewall. I tried shutting it down. Made no difference. To be sure I declared all of the avast! running processes as "trusted" applications.

I also installed the latest driver for my NVIDIA graphic card.

So we shall see.

As I never had this before with any application -- not even previously with avast! -- there is obviously some interaction going on between avast! and some piece of software I am running. But avast! is definitely part of the puzzle. And the good people at Alwil would be wise to look into it. It is an indicator when people with typical installations suddenly have strange phenomena after adding your software.

Best,

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
There is obviously some interaction going on between avast! and some piece of software I am running.
Hmmm... maybe Defense+ from Comodo firewall...
The best things in life are free.

dkeat

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »
It is turned off and has been from the beginning.

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 08:22:41 PM »
It is turned off and has been from the beginning.
Do you mean since installation?

And the good people at Alwil would be wise to look into it.
Dave, the problem could be on that they couldn't reproduce the problem... you know, there are tons of avast users with this problem. I myself had once, booting, and the problem disappeared...

I can't help further, sorry, I can't reproduce or troubleshoot this correctly. I've tried to do my best...

dkeat

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 08:29:13 PM »
Yes, Defense+ has never been on since installation. It causes too much trouble and I don't feel it pays off for me.

Well, your help has been much appreciated for sure. And maybe there are others watching this thread that might have an idea or two.

Best,

Dave

dkeat

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 11:21:04 PM »
Greetings,

As I told you yesterday, I did two things. 1. I installed this:

Please try the following:
1. Start Notepad and open the file <avast4>\Data\avast4.ini
2. Find the section [Common]
3. Add the following line into that section (at the end, beginning... wherever):
SunbeltKPFHack=2
4. Save the changes; avast! self-defense might pop up with a message about avast4.ini being changed, so

2. I updated my NVIDIA driver

Since then, most of yesterday and all day today, I have had no further "leftovers". Just wanted you to know. I have no clue which, if any, of the measures I took were effective.

By the way, how do you get the nice country flags up in your profile? Couldn't find where.

Best,

Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »
You have restricted access to your profile settings (and the PM function) until you have 20 posts.

To deter drive by signature spamming and abuse of the PM function (spamming forum members) unfortunately this penalises legitimate users also.

I don't know if you will be able to access this, but for when you can.
Click the Profile button > Forum Profile Information > Please select your country:, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dkeat

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 11:52:49 PM »
Ah, well thanks very much. I guess I'll have to start sending messages!  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 01:21:37 AM »
You're welcome, nearly there ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dkeat

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 09:34:16 AM »
Yes, this makes 18 now  ;)

PapaSmurf

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 06:15:09 AM »
Tech,
I do not mean to stick my fat nose in, but I have always had very good success using Revo, if it is done
properly.

For programs that want to reboot your system, decline to reboot. Allow revo to finish its' job.
If there are files that cannot be removed until reboot, revo will flag them and remove them on reboot.
This is just my experience, but I have not had any issues with "left-overs".  ;)

dkeat

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 09:21:11 AM »
I have had good experience myself as well. I think the product does a registry scan in addition to running the uninstall utility of the manufacturer. In that sense you could also just run the uninstaller and then clean up any leftovers with CCleaner or a similar utility.

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 04:17:45 PM »
Tech,
I do not mean to stick my fat nose in, but I have always had very good success using Revo, if it is done
properly.

For programs that want to reboot your system, decline to reboot. Allow revo to finish its' job.
If there are files that cannot be removed until reboot, revo will flag them and remove them on reboot.
This is just my experience, but I have not had any issues with "left-overs".  ;)
I understand... but I had problems uninstalling firewalls for instance... RevoUninstaller left behind drivers, registry keys... the only way was installing it again and let the uninstall process boot. Revo is not that aggressive on drivers and registry keys... quite some things are left behind, believe me.

dkeat

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 04:25:34 PM »
So what would you recommend for the removal of most programs, virus utilities, firewalls, etc? What do you use?

Dave

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 04:27:57 PM »
So what would you recommend for the removal of most programs, virus utilities, firewalls, etc? What do you use?

Dave
RevoUninstaller for the ones that does not require reboot.
RevoUninstaller (without removing the files/keys but writing down their directions) for the ones that requires reboot. Then reboot, look for that files and keys and manually delete if they survived.
Sometimes, a non-that-much-aggressive registry cleaner could help...