Author Topic: Win32: Trojan-gen {other}  (Read 2512 times)

square_41

Win32: Trojan-gen {other}
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:01:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

Right now, I keep getting pop-ups from Avast telling me that a file in location C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\phcsjyyf.dll cannot be processed by Avast. The only button available to click is the "OK" button, but this takes me to a more alarming looking window titled "avast! Warning" which says in bold letters A Virus Was Found! and that I should follow the given advice which is to move the file to chest. When I try to do this, the window closes, and the first one appears again. Realizing that I couldn't move the file to the chest, I tried to Move/Rename the file, which did nothing, I tried to delete the file and the folder, which did nothing. I tried to repair the file, but that too did nothing and I stil get pop-up window. So, finally I tried following the file name to see if I could manually delete the folder and its contents, but there was no such file. Anyways, here's the specs on this thing. Hopefully one of you guys can gimme a hand here. This thing is making my computer do wierd things.

File name:         C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\phcsjyyf.dll
Malware name:  Win32: Trojan-gen {other}
Malware type:   Virus/Worm
VPS version:     080926-0.  26/09/2008

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Win32: Trojan-gen {other}
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:23:03 AM »
Are you using Windows XP/Vista?
Can you schedule a boot-time scanning?
Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning.
Select for scanning archives.
Boot.
If infected files are found, it's safer to send them to Chest instead of deleting them.
This way you can further analysis them.

Maybe we can solve the weird behavior at boot time...
The best things in life are free.

Jtaylor83

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 02:37:10 AM »
Upload the file to VirusTotal and post the results.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 02:56:39 AM »
I suspect it is a good detection as a) the file name looks like a randomly generated one, b) there are zero hits on the file name which I tend to consider suspect in its own right.

The boot-time scan as suggested should get round this protection/inability to deal with it in windows normal mode.

Randomly named files are usually created by some other piece of malware so it would be worth running some other scans.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
2. Also MalwareBytes Anti-Malware freeware version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security